Advice on Family holiday in Barcelona ( First Timer)

knockers

I am travelling to Barcelona with family ( spouse and 2 kids aged 7 and 3) in Feb 2011. We will be staying over for 6 days and this is our first time in Spain/Barcelona.

So people, looking for some advice on following in Barcelona:

1) Family Accomodation near Beach ?
2) How is barcelona in Feb ?
3) Public transport ?
4) Any 'Do' and DON'T ?

Any comments appreciated
KS

February may not be the best time to go to Barcelona GSMA Mobile World Congress is taking place there so you might want to check the dates. Hotels will be scarce and overpriced. Also the temp will be 12-17c and rainy. You can get a 2 day bus tour pass which is great. Hop on and off at your leisure. Most hotels sell them at a reduced rate. Airport is a long way from Barcelona so you are best getting the bus.....taxi fare is very expensive. The beach is quite a step from the centre of Barcelona for the little ones so I would consider accommodation closer to the city. We stayed in a nice hotel in the city..... I will try and find the name for you. Lots of restaurants and coffee/ice cream shops close by.

http://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn/sights/bus-tours/hop-on-hop-off-bus

I am considering renting Apartment for the stay. so we can have more space than hotel room. Any advice

I wouldn't hold out much hope for the beach in February unless you just want to look at it from the promenade. Iwas there in March one year and it was bitterly cold, particularly in the evening.

In terms of accomodation, if you have young children, you should look for soemehere near the centre. Failing that, somewehere within a stroll of a metro station would suffice - unless you have a buggy, etc.

We stayed near the beach and I would agree that this is the best area to stay with children. However, I don't know about the weather in February. The area we stayed in is called Barcelonetta which is an 'earthy' area. From our apartment it was 1 minute to the beach when you turn right and 2 minutes to the left to Port Vell which had loads of restaurants and an easy walk along the Marina to the Centre of town (with buggy). A very easy 10 minutes of less to the underground train. Without the weather there is not a lot that I could see for young children. There is a lovely area called Tibidabo which has an old amusement park and a funicular and tram ride which is good for children - you would have to get the underground there. The apartment we had was small but good - you would need a ground floor one.

http://barcelona-bedroom.com/Apartm...-iv-4_H_1015_0_2_01/12/2010_04/12/2010_s.aspx

Just back from Barcelona. Its v easy to get from the airport to the subway system which will take you anywhere you want to go. just find out what Metro is closest to your hotel.

In the airport, walk to the train station and get a ticket that covers you for 4 zones (Think was E2) Then get off at Sants Estacion (Sants station) and you can connect to the Metro there. Easy peasy. Metro tkts are E1.40 but a 10 journey is only E7.95. We bought one between us. Altho if ur there for 6 days there's probably a better one for you.

1+ for the 2 day bus tour pass. Best way to see the city

Barcelona in Feb is roughly similar to Dublin in April ....
- can be cool ( 8-12 c) during the day and only 2-4c in late evening (colder up in Tibadabo or Montserrat)
- OR you can be lucky and it can be mild,almost balmy, some days with temps in late teens with pleasant sunny days.

It is so difficult to give an answer about weather nowadays- look outside! - but to be on the safe side , would you really want to risk a week in a city with two small kids when there is a good chance it could be wet, cool and windy ??

If do take that risk make sure that the Tv has good satellite selection - kiddies programmes in catalan may not appeal. That is, if you find a warm, well-located holiday apt in Feb.