advice on buying a small van for my business

gooner

i want to buy a small van,some tihng along the lines of a citroen belingo.does anyone know of a better deal than this van?

also what is the best way to purchase this van,i.e. the lowest monthly repayments/interest rates and the cheapest overall repayment?

i would be grateful if any of you could share your experience of purchasing a van for you business,as this is my first time doing so.

Gooner.

Are you VAT registered.

Better to buy the vehicle and finance this with a loan as opposed to a lease arrangement.

This will help your cash flow if you can recalim VAT when you purchase as opposed to reclaiming VAT over the life of a lease.

Ciaran

Gooner Id agrees with Rascal - if you can buy new and pay it back over 5 years. You can reclaim the VAT provided your registered. Personally for a van of the size u need Id go for the new VW Caddy instead of a Berlingo

Are car derivitive vans treated any differently in any respect (VAT, etc.)? E.g. a Focus van or a Corrolla van?

no they arent because they will be registered as a comercial vehicle. Once they are registered comercially then the are eligible for cheaper rate of Car Tax and VAT reclaim

Remember, you can only claim VAT back if you are charged VAT. Make sure this is clear on any receipt.

I would agree that if it is a small business that you should avoid HP for reasons other than VAT. Bank loan is better.

If you are a limited company, then you should discuss with an accountant about using a private vehicle for business purposes and claiming back tax free expenses related to it.

Remember a car van eg focus you will still have to pay the vrt.You can reclaim the vat but its still classified as a car.

D

Can I buy a small van , say a Fiat Fiorino, and tax it privately as opposed to taxing it commercially? I do not have a VAT number. Any advice appreciated!

I was under the impression that you need a VAT number to tax a vehicle commercially?
I am considering buying a new Fiat Fiorino Van and I am going to tax it privately as it is only 1.3!!! Any issues??