Advice on buying a laptop

• Thread starter tippwarrior
  • Start date
T

tippwarrior

What would be the best deal on a laptop used for surfing the internet downloading music and a little game playing. Would have to have a cd burner and be wifi enabled.

Not very well up on this so hope it makes sense. All advice and opinions welcome.

Bit of a difficult one to answer this one.

Reason being that most budget models will allow you to surf, listen to music/DVDs, download, be WiFi enabled, and have a burner.

But a lot will not allow you to play the current big games very well. These are very sore on computing power and RAM, and for them to play well you really need to have a lot of both, plus dedicated graphics cards.

Best thing would be to go into the likes of Currys/PC World and see if they can demo a few games on some of the laptops to see how they run.

Thanks RMCF the games are not terribly important. What spec would be good enough to do the rest well. What make should I go for bearing in mind its probably too late to order dell for christmas.

To be honest I recently ordered a Asus from eBuyer. More than powerful enough for most tasks but costing £449 sterling.

I think if you order now you could still get a Dell for Xmas. They only take 4 days or so for delivery from what I've heard. And to be fair they do decent deals for most peoples wants. Check out their site.

If gaming isn't important then I would say that the most basic model should suffice for surfing, listening to music and burning. Only thing to look out for is if the laptop comes with Vista of any description then you will need AT LEAST 1gb of RAM. Anything less and it will grind your laptop to a halt.

Thats why I opted for XP Pro on mine.

I picked up a HP T2300E notebook laptop for Euro533 (504.99 + 28 delivery) from
They are actually a UK firm based called Easy Computers. Anyway, I ordered on a Monday, it was delivered Wednesday morning.

I didn't need major power or performance - just surfing, email, photography, CD and DVD
Specs:
15.4" widescreen
Dual core Centrino 1.66GHz processor
Vista Home basic
RAM: 1GB
Hard Drive: 80GB
Wifi enabled.
Built-in modem
Ethernet Port
CD/DVD RW
2 USB ports
PC card slot
1yr warranty

There is a noticeable slowness when Vista is starting up and shutting down. Other than that its OK. Beware that most games designed for XP MAY NOT run on Vista. I have tried one or two, some worked, others wouldn't even install. I'm not that bothered about using games on this machine, anyway.

You can order XP laptops from them too.

There is a noticeable slowness when Vista is starting up and shutting down.
For what it's worth I always use Hibernate/suspend to disk with my XP Home laptop as it's much faster than doing a full shutdown/reboot each time. Suspend to RAM may also be an option in some cases but will still use the battery while closed up.

Just a note on Dell delivery ordered laptop yesterday delivery date is on or before 7/1/2008 so probably wont have it before christmas.

Back