Advice on buying a BBQ

monkey0804

Well as the first hint of spring is in the air, I plan on investing in a BBQ. I don't want one of these bit monsters, so something tidy but big enough to cook for a 6-10 people I guess. Does anyone know what I need to look out for. I presume gas fueled is the way to go? Anything else to wathc for? I saw a lava stone one - is that better than the plates/grills?

Lava stone is just the rocks that are heated until red hot it's just cleaner than using charcoal.
Gas is the way to go although I am tempted by those Outdoor George Foreman grills. 4 home superstores normally have a good range you can save $$$$ buy buying in late summer

Good Luck

Hi Dobber, thanks for advice. Just had a quick look at the outdoor George Forman and it looks the business. Do you know where I can get it? (Is 4 homes superstores a store? )

monkey0804 said:
Hi Dobber, thanks for advice. Just had a quick look at the outdoor George Forman and it looks the business. Do you know where I can get it? (Is 4 homes superstores a store? )

4HOMES used to be the Dairygold CO OP I'm sure I saw them selling them last year

http://www.4home.ie/

Hi Monkey,

Dunnes had the George Foreman barbi and stand throughout the summer last year for I think €149. That one was the grill that I bought some time back and would cook enuf for approx. 4 people. It would be something like this @ €121.99 (in catalogue at moment) on its own without stand. Not sure if it is on special offer at the moment though. I enquired also about buying stand separately which did not appear to be an option.

A gas barbeque? Why?
The beauty of a barbeque is the flavour imparted by the coals and chips onto the food? Surely if you are considering using gas you may as well use a normal cooker.

why not go for the best of both worlds. A charcoal grill with gas assistance .
put on the burner for 5 to 10 minutes and turn it off when the coals are hot enough . Add maple or oak shavings for some great flavour .
Webber make one of these ,not sure if you can get them here as we shipped ours from the US when we moved .

Got a kettle bbq in B&Q last year for €50k - plenty of room to cook for 6 people.
.....George Forman bbq?!! don't see the point - that is not a bbq, its just cooking with a GF outside.
Similar opinions re gas - its just cheating & just doesnt taste the same.

Not very much work these days with proper bbq - I know years ago they took ages to light etc, but you can buy these bags now where you just light the bag & leave burning until ready (similar to firepack)

While on a trip to NZ and Ausi we were invited to peoples homes for BBs and I noticed all used Outback BBss 3 and 4 burner gas ( one even had a full stainless one cost them $3000 but they were beside the sea) So last year wife had to get one,I got an Outback Hunter 3 burner around €380 big enough for 4 or 10 people,of cource had to get all the accessories,a hood or cover is a must,you can leave it out all summer,Steak cant be cooked on anything else, They are avaible in Atlantic and most big garden centers,Hope this helps,

I am going through exactly the same exercise! We checked B&Q, Atlantic, Woodies and Argos yesterday. B&Q have a very snazzy looking flat-lid BBQ with 3 burners, foldaway side wings and great little wire holders to cook kebabs (or at least that's what we figured they were!). There's no side pot-boiler, the warming grill was a little small and the flat lid caused us concerns as then you can't leave e.g. potatoes in for cooking away before the steak/meat is ready to go. The price was pretty good though - €180 or something (I think!) If anyone knows that this can come with a hood lid, then I'm sold.

You can get a 2-burner gas BBQ with side pot-boiler for €120 and up. From what we could see, for a 3-burner and the Aussie models, the price jumps considerably to €400-€600.

Of course, we didn't actually *buy* a BBQ yesterday But I think that we'll be going for a €200-ish model, 2-burner, pot-boiler and, with any luck, press underneath.

Have to disagree with the anti-gas people on the taste judgment though - I think gas-cooked tastes just as good.