Advice needed re Oil Central Heating Costs, etc

New Home

Hi there,

I've recently moved into a house that, unlike my previous rental places, has Oil Central Heating rather than gas or solid fuel.

The only thing I know is that the oil tank is basically empty, but I don't have a clue as to what type of fuel to get (Kerosene, Gas Oil, Diesel, etc? The house was built about 5- years ago, if that makes any difference), how much to order, and how much I can expect to pay. I'm ashamed to say I don't even know the size of the tank...

I've read some old threads that suggested I should be at home when the fuel is being delivered so I can keep an eye on them, and that I should ask for a meter printout so I know how much has actually been delivered. Aside from that, I'm in the dark (and in the cold too!). Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks.

Most oil heating runs on kerosene - but if you can find the manual for the boiler it should tell you. Otherwise - tTry and open the boiler and see what type of burner it has - you should be able to check with the makers what type of oil to use.
Most oil tanks would hold at least 500l most would be 1000l or even 1200l.
Kerosene is probably about 65c per litre (not ordered any for a few months) You might get a cheaper rate if you order more - you would probably order at least 500l if you can afford it. Some companies offer a monthly direct debit payment - but usually you have to get 1 big order before they start you on that.
Watch out - if the tank is empty - air might have got into the burner and it might not fire up. You could try clearing any airlocks yourself - but I reckon your best bet is to get someone to service it anyway and check it out once you have the oil delivered. Plenty of oil boiler service people in golden pages probably.

Good Luck

New Home, If you have an indoor boiler you will have to to use kerosene as any thing else gives off a bad odour. As Irishlinks said check your burner and see does it say anything on it. Not sure waht part of the country you are in but usually the Oil companies are very helpful so if you tell them what burner you have they will recommend an oil type. On a more cautious note make sure you ring around a number of companies to get a price as there can be a difference between them and most will deliver withinh 24 hours and accept laser/credit card. They generally as a rule leave a docket showing the quantity of fuel indicated by a meter they cannot tamper with so I am inclined to trust this. Others may have a different experience.

Thank you irishlinks and Bue5Off, this is very helpful.
By the way, I'm based in South co. Sligo.

Chances are if you ring the local companies at least one of them will have delivered to the house before and will know what kind of oil the previous owner used.

Back