Advice for Painting

UnaS

I am starting to paint interior for a new build this wkend. We have bought Dulux Ceiling Paint and we were going to start applying that. Some one mentioned you need to put a selant (not sure if spelt right) on the ceiling first before applying paint... is this true?

Also someone else said that i should water down paint for the first coat... is this true? If so, how do you water is down... i know 'with water'...but do you put have of the paint in an empty bucket and then fill it with water and stir?

you will need another container. Most pro painters will empty out half paint into container and add about 10% water, stir it up with a stick. as opposed to using a sealant you can add mabye 15% water for the first coat. Allow to dry fully. Ensure to do edges first and arround light fittings to avoid flashes.

Snap, I've similar plans myself for the coming 10 days.

Here's the research I did ages back, may or may not be useful for you:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=2707&page=2#27

I've done none of this before, but from what I've gathered...
You'll need to begin with a primer/sealant coat. Use basic plain white paint for this, watered down. Paint : water , 4 : 1.

When that's sufficiently dry, being painting proper. Ceiling paint is a special non-drip paint. Dunno if it's better, or a marketing thing, or what. Apparently it will be lumpy but it's meant to be, do not stir it or it will lose its non-drip, hence ceiling, qualities.

I recommend reading the Collins DIY, painting section:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Com...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205442552&sr=8-1

Available in most good libraries.

Ceiling paint, and brand name paints can be expensive.

I would suggest, buckets of white cheap and cheerful, thin out 10-15% and coat not just the ceiling but the walls as well. Acts as a sealer , will reduce dust, allow imperfection in plaster to be noted and filled , touch up the filled areas and then use your intended finishing colours.

Most people try and get away with 1 or at most 2 coats of emulsion.

new plaster really needs the primer/sealer coats plus the two top coats.

Stick to Matt emulsion for the first decoration, dot try to use silk or sheen for at least 12months, it will blister and lift.

also woodwork, if priming be sure to use Knotting on the knots prior to priming, ( pour on to a handfull of cottonwool, wrap in a cloth and dab on knot extend out by at least 50% the area of the knot/resin)

Best of luck

As mentioned, get a bucket of cheap white paint and use that as a sealant on all walls. Add about 10-15% water to it and stir it up before applying.

Back