Advertising in Buy and Sell

• Thread starter Holiday2006
  • Start date
H

Holiday2006

Anyone do commercial advertising in Buy & Sell? A friend placed adverts with them and they asked him to prepay and block book for 6 months. After 4 weeks, when he obtained not a single enquiry or feedback, he asked them to cancel advert. They did this and refused to issue refund.

Any comments

Never had a good relationship with the buy and sell,advertised a few times buying blocks as you described above and found the response not worth the cost.I think it depends on your business , depending on your business i would put my resources into getting your website up on the search engine searches ,have you ever noticed when you search on google for example for "printing" in Dublin you get bombarded by the same few well placed results. hire someone who knows how to bump your website up to the top of the search results. someone here might point you in the right direction. WORTH A PUNT IMO.

Holiday2006, It is not a very good idea to block book an untested advert in an untested media. I would imagine that in Buy and Sells terms and conditions they are not obliged to issue a refund. As with all marketing you should test on a small scale and if it works then ramp it up on a larger scale or if it fails then test something else.

Too often business owners get sucked in by so called good deals for long term advertising but you should realise that the only person benefitting from this is the person selling the advert space.

Yes I agree totally- but i think the deal he got was ok over the 6 months-= 1 month was very expensive, etc

Can she claim via Small Claims Court etc? www.courts.ie

I'm not sure on what grounds he could take them to court. If he accepted the contract price of 6 months and then later decides to renege on the contract why should Buy and Sell be obliged to refund him?

Betterbiz you are quite right i belive that she would have little grounds for case- but I would recommend it for the sake of the 9 euro fee. If nothing else it would pressure B & S to attend for hearing= and if they get legal opinion or bring solicitor it will cost them a lot more than what the lady paid them. In any case, to avoid such costs, B & S may actually send her a goodwill payment.

Back