Advertising a Training Business

Lauren

I'm in the process of expanding some work I have been doing in the area of training for managers and other topics like time management, communication skills for business etc.....soft skills....

Want to expand to offer the courses to the public as well as tailormade for specific companies but am a little stuck.

As you are all a pretty intelligent bunch I wanted to now what kind of advertising you would respond to? So far, some courses I have advertised have been via email (to friends and colleagues) but I know this is not enough...The options as I see it are, national newspaper advertising (VERY expensive), local newspaper (less expensive but would you take any notice of courses advertised here?), flyers sent by post to companies? etc

Any other ideas?

An option I would consider would be to contact dedicated training organisations such as Skillnets (www.skillnets.com) who have over 50 training networks who collectively run 100's off courses per year.

I would shy away from newspaper advertising personally, and would favour (having been on the receiving end) a letter, followed by a phone call.

U2 Fan..thanks a mil...I'll have a look at the website. Looks interesting. Are you involved in the networks?

I have the list of the network 'owners'. Do you think emailing or mailing a brochure to them would be a good way to go?

Find out what training/project events the networks are considering for this year (their websites should cover this) and write a cover letter that matches your services to their events.

Including a brochure or flyer is a good idea. If you are going to include more than one enclosure (brochure and flyer and tear sheet from print coverage etc.) in the package it would be best to put them in an separate envelope. Lots of loose material could ruin the effect you're trying to create.

Include a business card, maybe paper clipped to the cover letter.

Invite them to visit your website (where you will have more detailed information)

If any of your courses are accredited or otherwise recognised in your industry tell them about it. You might also mention high profile clients and include a testimonial if you have one. This will add creditability to your letter.

Hope it works out for you, good luck.

Peter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter, thanks a million. Are you involved with any of the networks? I've been having a look at the different ones and there seems to be different levels of activity across the board.

Lauren, no, I'm not involved in the networks. Just added my tupence worth. Hope it goes well.

Back