Adults who should know better socializing in parks

But comparisons are being made with Covid-19 figures where restrictions and lockdowns have been in place.

How would they compare were there no restrictions?

Clearly none of them are your friends or family.
Most of the deaths in care homes were due to inappropriate treatments which increased the spread of the virus. That had been rectified now. In April those over 70 made up 20% of infections. That figure is now under 2%. We must base our actions on facts and hard data.

I think that with any number you need to understand what that number means irrespective of people’s feelings for Donald Trump which appears to be part of the issue in Ireland in that they people associate their advocacy for lockdown and restrictions as signalling their disapproval for Trump.

I could also ask what do you think of Sweden that had a very soft lockdown but their death rate is only slightly higher than Ireland. Before people jump in and compare Sweden with their neighbours, there are numerous reasons and answers for that also.

Sweden had a very high compliance with social distancing etc. Different culture.

With the greatest respect I think your crazy.

Below are the figures for seasonal influenza for the past 5 years and for the 2019/2020 season to date.

All figures are taken from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre.

Note: the Covid figures are from the date of the first confirmed case in Ireland in Feb 2020. The flu statistics span two years, e.g., the 2019/2020 flu statistics are from 30 Sep 2019.

FluCovidFluCovidFluCovid
HospitalHospitalICUICUDeathsDeaths
2014/2015
1009​
69​
66​
2015/2016
1856​
161​
85​
2016/2017
1425​
51​
95​
2017/2018
4713​
191​
255​
2018/2019
3244​
159​
97​
2019/2020
4332​
4210​
154​
529​
110​
1885​

Last edited:
Many seeking to compare it to a typical flu seem to overlook that completely.

Some of those comparing Covid to flu started off arguing that masks were not useful and then moved on to the "Barrington proposal" of herd immunity - based on questionable sources

Most of the deaths in care homes were due to inappropriate treatments which increased spread of the virus. That had been rectified now. In April those over 70 made up 20% of infections. That figure is now under 2%. We must base our actions on facts and hard data.
My comment was a response to the apparent callous disregard for the deaths of c.1,800 people. I think we should base our response on protecting lives, but clearly we differ.

My comment was a response to the apparent callous disregard for the deaths of c.1,800 people. I think we should base our response on protecting lives, but clearly we differ.
I also think our response should be based on protecting lives. In that we are as one. I consider all lives to be of equal value so my concern extends beyond the lives of my family and those in this country. In that we seem to differ. My views on lockdowns are in line with those of the World Health Organisation.

Last edited:
Some of those comparing Covid to flu started off arguing that masks were not useful and then moved on to the "Barrington proposal" of herd immunity - based on questionable sources

Hey, they sold a good message and sounded kind of sciency without getting bogged down in detail, what's not to love :D

Back