Additional Radiators

jodi

Hi
I've looked through the central heating key posts but I haven't found an answer to my question to my question so here goes…
I’ve have bought a recently renovated 100 year old cottage. The heating is gas and was replaced a few years ago. However the sitting room (12 *22 ft) has just one radiator & a gas fire. The radiator alone is not enough to heat this room & I don’t like having the gas fire on for hours on end. Also the kitchen, single cavity block flat roof extension which has been dry lined, is quiet cold as it has just one small radiator.

I was wondering if anyone would have an idea of the approximate cost of adding 2 radiators to the current system. These radiators would be located approximately 2meters apart (drilling through old external wall to go from the new rad in the sitting room to the new one in the kitchen). The new rad in the kitchen would be approx 3meters from the boiler. I intend replacing the floor in the sitting room so I would not be unduly concerned with having to add some pipe work under the floor to get from the existing rad to the new rads and back to the boiler. Is this even feasible? Has anyone done this kind of work? Does the sequence which radiators are added to a CH system matter?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Can't answer the question you're asking but I think you need first of all to check whether the boiler is able to service more rads.

In principal there should be a "flow" and a "return" pipe. To these you should be able to connect the new radiators. Collin's DIY shows how to do it. Costs? Well, Collin's DIY is for cheap in the library and the actual material costs depend on size and workmanship. Don't forget to insulate all pipe work.

or as I am discovering have a look at "SOLO" radiators come in 2 sizes and either size has double the output of a standard radiator, they are not cheap but do need a power supply for the fan. They are the in thing apparently. I am defenitely having a look.

noah

The higher the output should be the higher the input must be-nothing comes for nothing.So trying to get a lot of kW out of a radiator needs a either a high running temperature or a fast pump setting. Both will cost permanently money. From the day you buy them untill you leave the house with the feet first. If space allows for it then the cheaper (because more passive) solution is more economical: large heating surfaces fed by low flow temperatures, similar to UFH, wallheating. It might also be more cosy because of less candle flickering, curtain movements, noise.

Back