Adding thermostat inside Hotpress

lastbuilders

Hi,

I am nearing the end of a self build and am considering adding a thermostat inside the hot press. This is because it gets very hot when the heating is on for more than a few hours.

I think there needs to be a valve put on the cylinder that will close when the water gets to a certain temperature as currently the water passes through the cylinder continuously when the heating is on.

Can anyone let me know what is involved with adding such a valve? The plumber has finished his 2nd fix so it would need to be retrofitted. there are currently 2 zones in the heating system. One for upstairs and one for downstairs.

Lastbuilders

You need what is known as a: "3 port bypass valve", a motorised valve effectively; a small probe is connected to the cylinder and when the cylinder temp. reaches a preset value the valve diverts water flow away from cylinder to the space heating circuit only. To accommodate this set-up you need a cylinder with a female tapped connector to accept the probe. Your system may require some other modifications to ensure that the boiler unit is not over-cycling as a consequence of fitting this set-up, your plumber should be able to advise. I'm not a plumber but I have seen this arrangement fitted on many systems and it is another effective energy saving control- also prevents scalding from a cylinder which is storing water at too hot a temp.