Adding immersion ...

Salem

Guys,
Brother in law lives in very old cottage which only had oil heating installed maybe 6 years ago ... This is very rarely used as he still preferes the open fire in winter but the heat needs to be turned on to give him hot water to wash etc ...
Just wondering if its possible to connect up a switch to immersion with timer to get hot water in taps and if so is it a big job ?
Could a reasonable DIY'r tackle it ?
Cheers ...

Immersion timer is DIYable. Little more complicated than wiring a plug, but if you're in any doubt, call in a pro. There are a number of timer types available from the simple mechanical timer with the push in segments to fully computerised 7 days timers, take the user into account when choosing.

Sorry Leo but the timer is not really necessary ... I got carried away ...
All we need is a switch like the ones in a standard hot press to switch on and off the immersion manually for hot tap water ...
Any instructions for doing this ?
Thanks again ...

If you need to wire up an immersion from scratch, which it sounds like, then I'd recommend getting a pro in. An immersion will need a separate feed from the consumer unit, its own dedicated trip, and a double pole isolating switch.
Leo

I'll check that this evening ... The tank is fairly close to consumer unit ... As its a cottage, cable up into attic and down into unit, about 10 feet of cable ...

Back