Adding a Room Stat

Dearg Doom

Has anyone ever added room thermostats to a house that isn't wired for room stats? I have found some wireless room stats that should do the trick without having to add additional wiring, but was wondering if it's a big job to install them (the bit at the boiler/valve end). Does the 'Call for Heat' signal from the stat connect in to the boiler or to the electic valves to each of the zones in the house? If anyone has any experience of knows of any web sites with such information I'd appreciate a few pointers so I can evaluate if this is something I can take on myself.

It would be easier/more economic to install a modulating combi condensing boiler.B&Q have some for offer from around ca. €600.

Why so? The current boiler is a combi boiler (Baxi 35/80) - don't know about modulating though...

Why do you use " cylinder stats " ? I take it from that information that you're using a " cylinder ", a (copper?) storage tank for domestic warm water to be heated up. This would be obsolete if you had a combi boiler.
Am I wrong?

There is a cylinder. Perhaps the boiler has the capability to heat on demand but isn't configured to do so? Any way it's definitly heating the water in the cylinder. But I can't control the temperature of he water in the cylinder or rads by any means other than the temperature control on the boiler. I want to install two room stats and so that I can control the temperaure upstairs and down stairs with those while having the boiler dial turned up enought to heat the water in the cylinder to a sufficiently high temperature. A cylinder stat may not be required for what I want. Any pointers on what to do?

Thanks for the input.

As I said: get a propper boiler and throw out the entire hot press. Keeping the boiler running on full tilt to get some warm water out of the tank is very wastive.
If there is only one dial for the temperature on your boiler then you have no combi boiler. Only a simple boiler.
A combi boiler has the feature of two dials. One for domestic hot water and the other for central heating. Both functions can be run independently from each other.
Try to get a DIY book about plumbing,for example "Collin's DIY", equipped with this you'll be better informed then most plumbers in Ireland.
We have an illiteracy rate of about 22% here but an unemployment rate of only 5%, guess where these illiterates are working....

Thanks for the info. The documentation that comes with the boiler definitly says 'Combi' but there's only one temp dial, so it's a simple boiler. There are also three motorised valves for hot water, upstairs and down stairs but no room stats. I'll have a look for the Collins book and do some more reading. But if anyone can provide pointers on what needs to be done to add room stats to this environment I'd appreciate the advice.