Adding a joint name to land

O

oconnor7741

My mother wants to add my name to land she has so the 2 of us will be joint owners. We have rang a solicitor and they sent us out an ESTIMATE of what it will cost to have my name added .......... €5000.

Is it really this expensive to add my name so i can be joint owner, or is this solicitor taking us for a ride?

Also do we need to have a solicitor for this? Is there another way around it?

Thanks.

Its not a matter of "adding a name".

Your mother is proposing to transfer a share of ownership to you. That is very different.

Without a great deal more information it is not possible to give any real answer. And does the 5K include fee, VAT, outlays and stamp duty?

You can always call other solicitors and ask for a quote.

I suppose you could try and do the transaction yourself- there is no law against it. But what are the chances of you getting it right?

mf

well ya that's what i mean transferring a share of ownership to me, so we'll be joint owners then.

yes the 5,000 inclueds stamp duty and all fees, but it's highlighted that it's only an estimate so it could be more. Solicitors fees are nearly 3,000. I just think that's a bit steep for adding my name to it when she already owns the land.

I will try other solicitors for a quote.

Thanks.

Back