Ad for Spoilt Brats

D

daltonr

Hear an ad on radio this morning for a Sporting Goods Chain that will remain nameless.

Kid lambastes parents for getting him the Home Kit rather than the Away Kit, and ends by telling parents that he hates them.

I don't know if any kids are hearing this and think it's an acceptable way to behave, but I'd like the Ad to have continued with:

Parent takes Kit back from Kid and gives to next door neighbour telling kid he can try again next christmas to see if he get's anything, but things aren't looking good.

I think this is my first ever public comment on "Kids These days" so I'm now officially old.

-Rd

Sounds like quite a reasonable comment to make Rd (despite the fact that you're obviously getting old ;) ).
It's amazing how acceptable ads like this are.

Where does the ad actually end? With the kid telling the parents he hates them??

With a voice over telling parents to buy their kids gift vouchers for this particular shop.

"Because they know what they want, and you don't!"

If they backed this up by opening the Shop on Christmas Day so the kids could get the Strip they wanted then it would be something.

Do they think, the kid will be happy to play with a Gift Voucher until the shops open in January????

It's not just a stupid ad, it's a stupid ad for a stupid idea.

-Rd

The radio ad that gets my goat at the moment is the one where they have a number of kids with the worst possible South Dublin drawl announcing that they want to be a Palaeontologist and such like when they grow up.

If they're talking about giving kids a taste of real career opportunities, perhaps they could have chosen children who don't sound as if they've been born with a silver spoon firmly embedded in their gob !

Doesn't seem much more damaging to me than the usual batch of stereotyped ads implying that;

- men can't do washing up
- women buy lots of shoes
- young men use 'dude' a lot in conversation
- people in offices address their managers as 'Mister'

Sometimes I wonder what world the morketing guys & gals actually live in?

I think that they are unacceptable forms of advertising...

Remember that advert for HB ice cream where a girl was running home from school screaming. When she reached home her mother saw her sore throat & then gives her a bowl of Ice cream. This to me promotes kids to be devious in order to achieve what they want......(now I am definitely getting to old!)

ninsaga

To be fair to stereotypes, women do buy lots of shoes; many stereotypes are statistically based.

On a separate note the Children's Advertising Code is [broken link removed].

Back