Activ8 solar panels

Its 5Kw output.
I'd guess that's the maximum throughput of the inverter. Can you see the output of the panels, x12 is probably giving you more like 4kW? The battery capacity (expressed in kWh) is also critical to understanding the price, they might be including one worth €1k or €10k.

Either way that quote is far too expensive.
What is your electricity usage like? How much do you spend per year? Do you have a day/night meter? Are you home all day (apart from the pandemic)?

Can anyone advise on the best type of Solar Panels to install. I was told that Badger Power Electronics (BPE) are reliable. I was quoted by an installer for 12 panels with battery and immersion diverter at a cost of €14,500 - grant €3,500 - cost to me €11,000

Battery must be huge for that price.

With the new feed in tariff it might not make sense to get a battery unless the grant covers the full cost.

Shop around- lots of companies out there.
Some (lots) will overcharge you but most make a profit charging alot less than you've been quoted.

My 4.2kw solar PV (14*300w panels ) with 4.8kw lithium batteries and diverter cost 6k net after grant.

With the new feed in tariff it might not make sense to get a battery unless the grant covers the full cost.

Some (lots) will overcharge you but most make a profit charging alot less than you've been quoted.

My 4.2kw solar PV (14*300w panels ) with 4.8kw lithium batteries and diverter cost 6k net after grant.
What company ?

There's a link to a boards.ie thread a few posts before yours, you'll find a ton of quotes there from various providers and get a good sense of what is a decent price.

FWIW I found NextGenPower good and reasonably priced, after a little pressure. Hoping to move house soon and I'll use them again. I have no relationship to the company.

Quoted 8,000 for 10 panels only.
Way too dear in my opinion.
Where can I get a better price from ?
You can get 7 panels (2,500W total) from Mysolar.ie for €2,400 cost to you after grants and you can pay this back at €20 a month over ten years. That quote you have is insanely badm €5,600 extra for three more panels. Panels cost about €150 each by the way, the cost is the install.

I've used mysolar.ie since December and have no issues.

You can get 7 panels (2,500W total) from Mysolar.ie for €2,400 cost to you after grants and you can pay this back at €20 a month over ten years. That quote you have is insanely badm €5,600 extra for three more panels. Panels cost about €150 each by the way, the cost is the install.

That deal must not be available anymore, the cheapest on their site is 40per month, or 50 to have hot water included

Spread over 10 years? At no cost? Sounds very good! Unless the price paid today is inflated?

Spread over 10 years? At no cost? Sounds very good! Unless the price paid today is inflated?
At no cost yeah, you can repay it all in once if you like. The price is far from inflated, they are by far the cheapest for those looking to go with a small system. Their prices for larger systems with diverters and batteries etc are pretty average but their lowest cost / smallest system is an excellent price.

39.99 with a grant 20 euro look again under the 39.99,
Thanks, I might have misinterpreted their website - I read that as "if you get the grant, you qualify for this cashback, which is the equivalent saving of 20 a month, but we'll still charge 40 a month". Are you saying you're only being charged 20 a month? That makes it much more appealing - I know the net outcome is the same but I like to minimise my monthly running subscription costs across everything as they rack up!

Still seems like a decent deal to me overall, but I haven't done much research in the area yet

Last edited:
Thanks, I might have misinterpreted their website - I read that as "if you get the grant, you qualify for this cashback, which is the equivalent saving of 20 a month, but we'll still charge 40 a month". Are you saying you're only being charged 20 a month? That makes it much more appealing - I know the net outcome is the same but I like to minimise my monthly running subscription costs across everything as they rack up!

Still seems like a decent deal to me overall, but I haven't done much research in the area yet
Just for anyone who stumbles upon this thread, I found this on their site:

CAN I GET A GRANT FOR THE SOLAR AND CAR CHARGER INSTALLATION?

MySolar will assist you with your application for the grant for solar and car charger installations. Any savings will then be incorporated into our contract with you. The process is simple and transparent and allows you to benefit from the grant funding with the least possible fuss.

So it seems they take it off the monthly charge then which is good

Yes, I got the grant, which I gave to the company and now I only pay €20 per month. Total outlay to me has been €40 * 2 (while waiting for grant to come through) and then €20 per month subsequently. I received a grant of €1,800 which I gave to mysolar, if I'd kept that I'd be still paying €40 per month.

What company did you go with Laughahalla? I was recommended with my electricity usage of between 4000-5000 units would probably put me in 4-5 Kip for panels and 5 KWh battery.I was told that I should get that for €7K-€8K.

hat

What company did you go with Laughahalla? I was recommended with my electricity usage of between 4000-5000 units would probably put me in 4-5 Kip for panels and 5 KWh battery.I was told that I should get that for €7K-€8K.

hat
The economics of a battery are uncertain at the moment, until the details of the feed-in-tarrif are announced.

Interesting to see that the Netherlands will phase out all feed-in-tariffs for domestic solar as the scale there was causing congestion problems in the low voltage grid.

Back