acoustic underlay for wood floors

babybuilder

Hi
I've recently built a timber frame house which has an I-beam floor system. Upstairs there is weyrock, a type of chipboard, nailed directly onto the I-beams and downstairs there is a layer of plasterboard screwed underneath. In between I put 100mm of rockwool or hemp in places. I would like to put wood flooring upstairs but I would like to reduce the impact and airborne noise from upstairs.

I'm putting down 18mm engineered birch on the upstairs floors and I have around 8mm of space between the birch and weyrock to play with to work with at the moment. Can anyone recommend a good acoustic material/underlay or system that would cut down the impact or airborne noise from upstairs?

Alternatively I could ask the builder to cut/raise the head boards above the upstairs door openings to give me an extra 25mm clearance. I then could put in an additional 18mm t&g chipboard layer with the acoustic material sandwiched above and below it. Then I could float the birch flooring.

There seems to be loads of options if you are living in the Uk but up here in Donegal its just the usual 3mm foam underlay.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Back