Achill Island-What activities?

lab-rat

Hi All,
Has anyone gone to Achill Island?? Going on my holidays tomorrow. Can anyone recommend places to eat, pub, walks, gallary etc

I've been there numerous times, it is a great place. There's a few good restaurants in Keel including a very nice Chinese. As regards places to go, I recommend Keem Bay beach, doing the Atlantic Drive, the deserted village near Keel. There is also a number of art galleries around Keel. The scenery in Achill is beautiful so really no matter where you are you can't go wrong. The beaches on the north side of the island are very nice too and you can see the sun setting into the ocean from the right spot on them which is always a nice sight. The local rambling sheep always provide some entertainment as well.

Dowee said:
I've been there numerous times, it is a great place. There's a few good restaurants in Keel including a very nice Chinese. As regards places to go, I recommend Keem Bay beach, doing the Atlantic Drive, the deserted village near Keel. There is also a number of art galleries around Keel. The scenery in Achill is beautiful so really no matter where you are you can't go wrong. The beaches on the north side of the island are very nice too and you can see the sun setting into the ocean from the right spot on them which is always a nice sight. The local rambling sheep always provide some entertainment as well.

Thanks Dowee,
I am really looking forward to it now. Thanks for your response:D
AM

If you are an early bird you can see the midsummer sunrise over some of those northerly beaches too. A word of warning from a native though: much of the island is bogland so bring midge repellent! I forgot mine and got eaten alive coming back from the St John's bonfire tonight. There's a pharmacy just inside the bridge at Achill Sound if you need to get some when you are here. Have a great time!

Just to add that midges are normally only a problem in the evenings and early morning this time of year, so don't let my earlier message put you off. Sorry about the two messages, I'm on my mobile and cannot edit the first one. Aquila.

Back