accounts package for newspaper round?

big bird

My husband runs a papers delivery service and has over 500 customers .He currently uses sage instant accounts but find it very time consuming as he has to put each invoice on the system seperatley and most peoples bill are the same every month. But he has been on to sage and they dont have a package that will do. He needs to be able to run the invoices against the calender month. Basically each customer get certain papers on certain days ,mon to sun . if he could get a system that could work out how many papers are delivered from the 1st of the month to the end of the month and then invoice accordingly . I am probably not explaing this very well . Even if there was some company that could tailor make an account package ,that would be a start.

Thanks

Re: account package that can be tailored made to my needs

What is his budget?

well instant accounts was about 400 euro and i know it will be more expensive .We will have to work out how much time it can save at the moment it takes about 2 days to do the invoicing i know it will will cost a more but we dont have thousands and thousands to throw at this . And he is getting more busy??? Do you think it would be very expensive.

Take a look at Quickbooks; You can get a free trial of it. I got a free trial CD from Axonware.ie

I had a look at it and decided that it did not meet my needs, but when going through the set-up routine I definitely recall that there were options for people who are in sales, who have specific product lines and want to be able to have the ability to invoice each product on a product by product basis.

I assume that there are in total perhaps 20 newspaper titles. So it seems that it would be fairly straightforward to set up your accounts system with twenty product lines and 500 customers. How long it will take to enter the data I don't know, but this seems to be what you need to do.

I imagine that it should be possible to set up a monthly invoice as a 'repeat order' on the system - which would mean that as long as it does not change, you would not have to re-enter the invoice data each month

I am not an accountant or in any way expert in this area - It is just that I happened to take a look at the Quickbooks package. I expect it is almost certainly the case that other relatively cheap accounting packages will give the same functionality;

could he not set up a spreadsheet in excel to do the daily papers and post the total into the accounts package once a month?
would be a cheaper option than buying new software (assuming you have ms office)

Take a look at Quickbooks; You can get a free trial of it. I got a free trial CD from Axonware.ie
I imagine that it should be possible to set up a monthly invoice as a 'repeat order' on the system - which would mean that as long as it does not change, you would not have to re-enter the invoice data each month

Quickbooks will let you memorise each invoice and set it to repeat:
Daily
Weekly
Every two weeks
Twice a month
Every four weeks
Monthly
Quarterly
Twice a year
Annually
If you need to amend the invoice, in the case of 30 day months V's 31 day months it would be a simple matter of opening the invoice and amending the 'Quantity' by 1 and resave. Easy peasy...
Maybe there is another package that can automate further but for ease of use and a non techie layout and value for money I doubt if you will beat Quickbooks...

Again, no affiliation to QBooks just one happy customer...

Re: account package that can be tailor made to my needs

I ran a newsagents in the UK for many years with large home delivery rounds .A decent software package can save you money in the long run .It would take a bit of effort to set up properly but once it is done it makes everything so much easier.

It also makes life easier when it comes to getting a day off or holidays.
Look to UK companies for software as most shops offer a home delivery service and after doing a quick Google search there are a lot of different packages out there

Back