accountant files expression of doubt with revenue but fails to inform directors

8till8

A friend of mine has this situation;
Her accountant files annual return and includes an expression of doubt without informing the directors. When challenged the accountant says it was on the form that she signed.

Secondly, she has never been given copies of CT returns and calculations and had to request them for previous 4 years, she had to request them to be sent to her.

Does this seem really unprofessional, bordering on reckless?

A friend of mine has this situation;
Her accountant files annual return and includes an expression of doubt without informing the directors. When challenged the accountant says it was on the form that she signed.

Secondly, she has never been given copies of CT returns and calculations and had to request them for previous 4 years, she had to request them to be sent to her.

Does this seem really unprofessional, bordering on reckless?

Was does the expression of doubt involved- They might be a valid reason for including on the Ct1 form.

We cant say it is reckless or unprofessional without more detail

I would rather the Accountant include a doubt on Ct1 them revenue coming back in few years on revenue audit and disallow whatever the doubt could have been and adding interest and pen

Please clarify why doubt was included to get a fair and honest answer

I assume we are talking about Ct1 and not an audit report.

What effect would doubt have on tax bill

How did director become aware

Did they get a letter from revenue

Yes the CT1 bearing the expression of doubt would have been signed by the company secretary or a director. And unless they read the form before signing they may not be aware of it. ( many people just sign where told, happens here too ).

However if I had an expression of doubt on the CT1 it would be because of a material matter. It would be unlikely that this matter would not have been discussed already with the directors and they would be told that it was being so expressed on the CT1.

Reckless.... more details really required as to nature of the matter.

Unless clients specifically request copies of the CT1 and Tax comps we would not normally give copies. They would get the signed financial statements only. They would of course then get their copy of the Notice of Assessment direct from Revenue.

Back