Account in Irish bank for someone who lives abroad

A

ad_inie

Hello,

My friend who lives and works abroad wants to open an account in an Irish bank. It would be a deposit account where she would keep some of her savings. It always is a good idea never to put all your eggs in one basket, so in case something happens in her own country (war, economy crash, banks go bankrupt) - she would still have some money secured abroad.

Does anybody know if that's possible?
I talked to a few people in the same branch of one of the banks and I got completely different answers, ranging from "we don't do it", to "all you need is prove of address and copy of passport sent out to us". So if you know somebody has done that before - I'd really appreciate if you could let me know.
But if you knew how to do it (what's required) - it would be totally fantastic.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Yes, someone who lives abroad can open an account in an Irish Bank. Would this person ever be home on holidays?....if so they need to bring with them proof of identity (passport) and proof of address......they also need to supply the Irish Bank with their Bank details from where they are living at the moment. The Irish Bank will then do a Bank to Bank ref to the other bank to verify the persons address/signature etc. Once this is returned, the account can then be opened......these accounts are called non-resident accounts and the person in question will need to fill in a non-resident declaration if they are going to receive interest on the new account. They do not have to pay DIRT on the interest they receive provided the balance is in excess of a certain limit....not sure of amount. Think I am right on the above.
Hope this helps.

Thanks sooty, this is really helpful!
Would any bank do that? Or are there particular banks that she would have to deal with?

I would imagine all main Irish Banks have same regulations......not 100% sure but would imagine so.

Back