Account holders name changed, ok to use old cheque book?

Bubbly Scot

I promised someone a cheque tomorrow but when I dug out my little used cheque book I realised it was in my name only. Since aquiring it I have added Mr Bubbly to the account. Is it ok to write a cheque? I'm pushed for time now and to be honest, last time I used it was back in '06 so I would grudge the duty on a new book when I still have enough cheques to last me til 2015 at this rate!

Just make sure that the account number is the same -- that you did not open a new account with Mr. Bubbly.

You can return unused cheques and have the duty credited to your account.

Just make sure that the account number is the same -- that you did not open a new account with Mr. Bubbly.

You can return unused cheques and have the duty credited to your account.

He was definately added to the account which is still same number etc. Thanks for the tip about returning cheques, I may do that but as I said, it's a rare day I would write a cheque and I can't remember the last time Mr Bubbly wrote one. That's probably why I didn't rush to get a new cheque book ordered.

I want to return the money my boss paid me accidently, hence the need to do it by cheque (paper trail) out of the account he paid it into (rarely used).

If the name on the cheque book is the same as either of the names now on the account, and if the account is 'repayable to either', I would assume it to be OK.

If the name on the cheque book is the same as either of the names now on the account, and if the account is 'repayable to either', I would assume it to be OK.

If that's the same as "one to sign" then we're sorted, my own name hasn 't changed. Gave him the cheque anyway because I was fairly confident it was ok. He puts all sorts of weird 'n' wonderful cheques to the bank so I doubt mine will attract a second glance.:D

For future reference, I too have a cheque book that rarely sees the light of day. It was printed before I turned my current account into a joint one with Mr C, and also still has my maiden name on it. I haven't had a problem yet with having cheques cashed - so long as I remember to sign the same name that's printed on the cheque, that is!

Back