Account closed!

Sean Quinn

Hi
This is a crisis and I don't have a clue what to do!! I am abroad in The Philippines. I bank with Ulster bank. I have (had) a large sum of money there (all legit). Ulster bank have decided to close my account without giving me any notice or reason. They said a letter has been sent explaining the details but can enlighten me no further. There is no reason for them to close the account - what am I to do? Who do I speak to??

Stuck in the Philippines ?
Ask sumbody too send you a screen
Shot of the letter so you can read it yourself.
It might be an inactive account if your in the Philippines years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Brendan.
Get someone to read the letter which they sent to the address on the account.

Brendan
Thanks I am waiting, of course nobody is available until after 9am Monday.
What redress do I have against a bank who, knowing that I am abroad (I fully informed them all my plans), suddenly shuts down my account which has been properly conducted and has plenty of legitimate funds in?

FT Weekend had a big piece last weekend 24/25 July on UK banks closing accounts .It was UK focussed so not sure if any or all would apply here but seemed quite scary to me at least . Might be worth reading after reading the letter .

Stuck in the Philippines ?
Ask sumbody too send you a screen
Shot of the letter so you can read it yourself.
It might be an inactive account if your in the Philippines years.
The account is not inactive and the money is clean. Why would the bank just close it without warning? They are aware I was travelling abroad.

If they sent a letter it was not without warning.
The fact that you did not receive the letter yourself, is hardly the fault of the bank unless you had told them to forward all mail to a different address to the one you had registered when you opened the account

Do you have online banking where you can see the account closed or has it just disappeared, funds gone, or is it not allowing any transactions? I had an account with UB I had not used in a long time, got a letter in Jan asking for up to date id and signed forms confirming stuff, sent it back, got it again, sent it off again (pre paid envelopes) yet account is still frozen. I have just re read letter and it said that if they didn't hear from me the account would become dormant, no threat to close it!

After all that I spent half hour I'd say yesterday trying to get to speak to someone in UB about it, local branch told me ring wherever the letter was from and of course there was no phone number on the letter, anyway long story short they told me I have to back into a branch personally with id, couldn't answer as to why I had sent off two lots of id for apparently nothing to be done with them.

Ok. Non resident 5 months, but again, I informed Ulster Bank fully my intentions and plans back in February.

First of all telling the bank you are going to be away, is not the same as telling them to sent post to your new address. If you did not do this then the bank is correct in continuing to send your mail to the address given to them.

As for no warning, if you have not checked your mail in five months, you don't know what has been sent to you. If I was to guess, based on the information you supplied here, I say it has been closed for failure to complete with the MLA requirements. Most likely you were sent a request, a few reminders and finally the account was closed and the matter reported to the authorities as a suspect account. But you will have to wait to read the mail to find out.

As it's a bank holiday here, it will be Tuesday before you can talk to them.

But certainly on a business account that I had and rarely used (switched when they had their IT nightmare and couldn't pay staff) they gave me 30 days notice that the account would be closed.

As it's a bank holiday here, it will be Tuesday before you can talk to them.

But certainly on a business account that I had and rarely used (switched when they had their IT nightmare and couldn't pay staff) they gave me 30 days notice that the account would be closed.

I think the OP is waiting for someone to go check his (snail) mail on Monday as a stating point....

Do you have online banking where you can see the account closed or has it just disappeared, funds gone, or is it not allowing any transactions? I had an account with UB I had not used in a long time, got a letter in Jan asking for up to date id and signed forms confirming stuff, sent it back, got it again, sent it off again (pre paid envelopes) yet account is still frozen. I have just re read letter and it said that if they didn't hear from me the account would become dormant, no threat to close it!

After all that I spent half hour I'd say yesterday trying to get to speak to someone in UB about it, local branch told me ring wherever the letter was from and of course there was no phone number on the letter, anyway long story short they told me I have to back into a branch personally with id, couldn't answer ats to why I had sent off two lots of id for apparently nothing to be done with them.
I say it has been closed for failure to complete with the MLA requirements.

What's MLA

Back