accommodation in san diego

narky

will be arriving in san diego for nearly a week in mid june. just me and husband. wondering where we could get cheapish but nice accommodation. we really didnt want to spend more than about 120 euro a night. am goggle eyed looking things up on tripadvisor and google. hope that some of you have some advice. we would love to be on or near the beach. have never been before so no idea where nice. is ocean beach too far out? would like a private apt if at all possible.

thanks

Narky, was there last summer - loved the place - but preferred the beaches to the north than the city centre - i would be looking at mission beach / pacific beach if i was you - no public transport to speak of so i would imagine that you will be hiring a car? instead of a hotel, would you rent a condo/apartment (www.vacationrentals.com good starting point, www.sdvr.com a good specific San Diego site)
there is a great great local guide online for San Diego (www.localwally.com) - excellent resource we used most of his recommendations and they were fab - food, places to see, routes, beaches.
hth

thanks have looked up those sites. did you stay in a hotel or apt?
we are doing the west coast and are trying to keep it at a cheapish budget so any recommendations much appreciated.

no public transport to speak of so i would imagine that you will be hiring a car?

hth

We were there last year and there is some nice accomodation in old town and regular busses to the beach and trains to the shopping complexes. It gives you plenty of options

Ps I forgot its also a lot cheaper because you are a little distance from the beach - it really depends on what type of holiday you want.

just after reading loads of reviews on the san diego website saying dont come in june because the weather crap...... might cut this stay short then cos i was really wanting this to be my beach part of holiday.

anyone been there in june for the 'june gloom'?

We were there last year in July - the weather was good during the day (for the most part) had a couple of days of showers but the evenings can get cool - you'd need a jumper. Its a lovely place though and I'd recommend it.

Try Coronado Beach. It has an old fashioned trolley/tram service over the bridge to downtown San Diego. There is a lovely small hacienda style boutique hotel just across from the very famous & expensive Del Coronado Hotel.The magnificent beach is just 100 yards away. It is called the El Cordova & has agreat mexican restaurant set in a lovely courtyard. It gets good reviews on trip advisor.