Accessing Sterling in the UK

horusd

Going to the UK for a week or so, and wondering what's the best plan for accessing Sterling? Carry cash and change locally at bank or post-office? use CC? Change money here, and if so, does anyone know who offers the best rate?

Last time I was there I was charged £5 for a withdrawal from one of those private ATM's on top of the charges from P/TSB here which are horrendous BTW. P/TSB charge 3.5% of € value for withdrawals, with a minimum of €3.17. I assume they also cream-off a few bob on the FX as well. I have an UB savings account, so I might see if I can use them? I prefer not to carry much cash, but if the alternative is these kinds of charges, I will take the risk.

If you want to change money before you leave, the post office sell sterling and us dollars commission free.

If you want to change money before you leave, the post office sell sterling and us dollars commission free.

Not always the best rate in Post Office though - .8486 this morning while AIB were .8611 with 1% commission so bank slightly ahead.

Not always the best rate in Post Office though - .8486 this morning while AIB were .8611 with 1% commission so bank slightly ahead.

I ended up opting for the bank and will carry £ cash , and I took out insurance which will cover any loss of money, it cost me €11 and is still cheaper than paying the massive ATM fees.

Yes, those private cash machines are a complete rip off, however you are warned that they will charge as they have a notice on them. The Post office is not always the best option. Go to one of the major bank machines such as Halifax, Santander, Natwest and withdraw the maximum daily amount which I think is circa £500 then you will only have the one charge rather than withdrawing cash in drips and drabs. keep the cash in your shoes, best place

Update. Ulster Bank don't charge fees for UK sterling withdrawals made from the Royal Bank of Scotland ATM's. They just charge the FX rate. Sounds good to me.