Access to view an English/UK will?

Little Sis

A family scenario has arisen and was wondering can anyone help.

My uncle died in the UK and his brother was left money. Prior to the will being administered he too died. All has now been administered by another cousin and she has executed the will. However, none of us have seen a copy of the will and as a matter of curiousity family members are curious as to the extent of the estate. I received a small non-monetary momento

Can we contact the UK solicitor and request a copy of the will (i.e can the family of my uncle who as a beneficairy). As wills are public documents, is there a gov department/website in the UK we can access to view it?

Sorry for the long winded story and appreciate any inof back!!

Bear in mind that this is an Irish website........

You can ask for a copy of the Will from the executor - bear in mind the solicitor acts on the instructions of the executor and its for the executor to make the decision - not the solicitor.

If this is refused ( and it amazes me the number of times this happens - ordinarily because of some perceived bad feeling/ falling out) you should be able to contact the local Probate Office and ask them how you would go about ordering a copy of the Will and Grant of Probate. I don't think this information is available on line. Or the UK family could ask their own solicitor to do a Probate search and order a copy for them.

mf

Back