Acceptable noise pollution ?

RMCF

This really is one of my 'pet' hates and has been a thing that has annoyed me for many years.

Its barking dogs.

For many years the small estate I live on was very quiet, which was perfect as I am a shift worker and often have to sleep during the day.

Last year more houses were built behind us, and these houses back right on to my back garden. Now I have no problem with this, but I do have a problem with these folks when they bring their uncontrolled dogs with them.

Directly behind me there are 2 houses with a dog in each. Its not uncommon for these dogs to bark all day - and I am not exaggerating here. I mean all day. And often they bark until very late at night as well.

When trying to sleep during the day this is a real pain. The occupants of the house seem to be out all day and I was wondering if I could report this noise?

After all, if I was playing music late at night I'd get pulled about it, but are dogs allowed to bark all day and night with no comeback?

Is there any point in reporting it to my local council?

Hi, I sympatize with you. I worked shift years ago and had a similar problem. I felt like killing the dogs I was so tired and cranky.

I was lucky in that I changed jobs to day shift work. ( no help to you).
I would suggest speaking with your neighbours and explain that you work nights and that the dogs bark all day. As them if the could put a bark collar on the dogs for a few weeks. They learn not to bark after a couple of weeks wearking the collar. It might even be worth your while buying one for them yourself. Failing that you could report them. I would speak with them first though.

Until the matter is sorted have you tried sleeping in the front bedroom?

Its a crazy idea but it might just work !!

But I still think that its unacceptable that people have dogs that they don;t seem to take any heed of when they bark all the time. Perhaps they are immune to the sound now, but others aren't.

If it continues then I might have to pay them a visit. Technically they aren't my neighbours as they are in a completely different development that just happens to back on to me, so I have no issue with falling out with them about this.

I have read the guidelines listed by another reply here, and I think that I would have grounds for a complaint if there is a dog barking all day and to the small hours directly behind my house.