ACC seizing wife's car a disgrace

Duke of Marmalade

I was really glad to see Mrs Kelly get her 7 series BMW back. It would have been unfair to expect her to slum around in her Merc. I would have preferred it was her rather than hubbie who dangled the keys in triumph on the front page of the IT.

Whatever ACC's claims on Mr Kelly his wife is presumably entirely innocent.

Somebody who issued that court order or the bailiff who tried to execute made an error.

The car is seven years old and even if it is a seven series it's not worth that much at all now.
The papers were quick to highlight it was a luxury BMW
A standard family Nissan is probably worth more then this seven year old car.

I read the feature about Mr Kelly in the Irish Times a couple of weeks ago and I found his arrogance breathtaking. He seems to consider himself some kind of hero and to be fully entitled to continue living in luxury, regardless of the years of hardship we all face because of the irresponsible actions of him and his ilk. Makes me sick.

Did she buy the car out of her own money?

..and her debts are his debts but his debts are his own..in the eyes of the court anyway.

The car is worth less than €15’000. I don’t see it as being anything special.
These incidents deflect from the main issues. If developers behaved in a reckless manner which resulted in bankruptcy then all of their assets should be ceased and they should be charged with criminal acts and sent to prison for long periods of time (over 15 years, less than 40 years). Fintan O’Toole talking about a €15’000car as a luxury car does nothing other than show his own ignorance.

In fairness, to someone of FO'T's political leanings, it probably does constitute a luxury car. If we had a less tranparent licensing sytem, one might actually think it was newer than it is.

Anyway, I suspect the IT is reporting the issue for the sole purpose of highlighting Kelly's complete ambivalence to his financial predicement and his outrageous disregard for those to whom he owes money. If the irresponsibility with which he conducts his affairs is shared by his fellow developers, it's little wonder we're in the doo-dah we're in.

A liitle humility on his part wouldn't go amiss. Outwardly gloating at a victory over "officaldom" on the front page of the IT is simply crass.

Why should a partner, who presumably shared the upside of activities that lead to bankruptcy, not also have to share the downside?

Why should a partner, who presumably shared the upside of activities that lead to bankruptcy, not also have to share the downside?

I was thinking about this on the way home yest evening. Far too many business people when times get though are able to sign houses over to the wives (Fitzpatrick) and co shares to family (Sean Quinn) with no recourse.

Mr. Paddy Kelly has been rubbing our noses in it, between speaking at summer schools, implying his debts don't really worry him and then glorifying on the front page of the Irish Times in *his victory over officialdom by getting the City Sheriff to return his car and apologise to his wife. Yes, we know the car is technically registered in his wife's name as is the Merecedes that was pictured in the driveway of his downsized house on Morehampton Road in Donnybrook, Dublin 4.

Like all "little people", I have been affected by recent events. One of my sons is going into 6th class this year. In his national school there will two 6th classes, as opposed to the three in previous years, resulting in bigger classes. The school has lost language assistants which will affect*all pupils as the progress of classes will be slowed up and stresses on teachers will increase. Remedial class and co-curricular resources have also been curtailed.

My partner works in a major hospital. Wards are seriously short staffed, both of qualified nurses and of English speaking nurses. The HSE have started to replace departing nurses with lesser qualified and less expensive attendants. Most nurses qualifying this year will not be employed. Wards are closing. Waiting lists for operations are lengthening. If you do not have private health insurance you and your relatives could face a longer and worrying wait for treatment. The treatment in private hospitals is not superior, but, access to treatment is quicker due to the patients being wealthier.6

Another son is finishing secondary school next year. I fear how cutbacks in 3rd level opportunities and resources will impact on his future and our family budgets, never mind his chances of employment.

I have been made redundant. In the short term, I am relatively okay compared to other people. I am not heavily in debt. Luckily I did not take the Celtic Tiger sucker punch of accepting the generosity of the banks by moving to the trophy home with an additional buy-to-rent apartment and Range Rover or BMW X5 lobbed on top of a remortgage like many of my peers. *I am approaching the end of my mortgage on my adequate semi-d, though it would not be deemed worthy as a residence for *Mr. Kelly or Mr. Fitzpatrick. *In the long term, I am preparing *to go to London or Canada as a 50+ mature migrant. Fortunately, *I have experience of London in the 1970's and 1980's to draw on!

What is happening to my family is happening to most other families to a lesser or more degree across this island. It really upsets me to see young couples under so much pressure due to unemployement, unbearable debts and other pressures - in the majority of cases not caused by greed or their mistaken actions. Hearing of talented and educated young men and women in our neighborhood, city and beyond expressing feelings of despair and planning to emigrate, sometimes illegally, really makes me question: what progress have we made over the past thirty years?*

Myself and the majority of other citizens who have worked hard, resided in this country, paid all their taxes, contributed to society and reared and educated their children, have not availed of tax shelters, have never entered the political tents at race meetings, have never swaggered into the Shelbourne Bar, the Four Seasons, the Unicorn Restaurant, the Town & County Grill and other centres of mutual self-righteous recognition *and have never been glorified in magazines or the social columns of the newspapers as heroes of the new Ireland.

We certainly don't have wealth to transfer to our partners and spouses to prevent our money correctly falling into the hands of debt collectors and revenue commissioners.

A little humility displayed by Mr. Kelly, the other developers, the politicians, the policy making civil servants and the bankers who have contributed to the current economic and social state of the Nation would be appreciated by the true patriotic citizens who are being levied and increasingly taxed in an effort to save this poentially great Country from economic ruin.*

Jangling the keys of a BMW 7 Series as if they are the spoils of a justifiably fought war is indicative of the morally bankrupt value system of a republic that has*failed the youth, the older generation and the less fortunate.

A good post, carpedeum, and I agree with much of what you have said. So how do we change the system? So many people are emigrating. Not many are getting into politics. How are we going to change our country unless we stand up and demand that change?

I am not asking you the question, rather posing it to everyone. It is hard work to change a country. Not too many of us seem to want to do that work. Most will complain, or leave. I am guilty of the former of these charges myself, so I amn't judging anyone. Just wondering aloud how we are ever going to change the way this country is run. Is war the only way this happens? Why aren't thousands of us out there setting up new political parties?

How do we bring about change? This is the 'how do you eat an elephant' question. The answer is 'One bit at a time'.

No one individual can change the entire system, but one individual can be hugely influential on one issue. Pick the issue that's closest to your heart (whether it be a local planning issue, or an anti-social behaviour issue or a tax issue or a discrimination issue), and get active. Work your ass off to get this issue sorted.

I find it hard to be optimistic. it's such a small country that everything is done on a nod and a wink and it's very difficult to generate sufficient momentum for real change. We can't rely on the political classes. I think our only hope would lie in the deveoplment of a mature media whose primary interest is in the betterment of society. Although to be honest, I think even they're regressing.

A letter writer to the IT said he found PK's jinglling keys foto the most provocative thing of the year, a sentiment seemingly shared here in AAM.

I'm confused. ACC bank did not avail of any taxpayer support or of NAMA. We are not at the receiving end of PK's "two fingers". This is a case of a foreign bank behaving high handedly with an Irish customer. Time was when we would support the latter. What has happened?

This is a case of a foreign bank behaving high handedly with an Irish customer. Time was when we would support the latter. What has happened?

The latter is a tosser who we now know is symptomatic of a lot of what's got us so entrenched in the doo-dah. That's what's changed.

This business of lashing your assets into your wifes name when the business in heading for the crapper is immoral,neither does it lend itself to any moral hazard,if in the good times the good lady wife was able to afford herself of top of the range Land Rovers,addresses in the embassy belt etc,then they should be held as responsible for their partners debts.

I found Kellys photo holding the keys up in a triumphant display utterly disgusting,if it were me I would be too ashamed to show my face in pubic,people like this guy need to taught a good hard lesson,the laws need to be changed in this regard,what he is seemingly getting away with is sickening.

+1