Absolute Return Funds

Dman

Hi Folks,
I'm just looking to get people's thoughts on Absolute Return Funds.
To be honest I've just started to look into them and see Standard Life have one that is of interest.

Is there many other compaines that do these type of funds that don't require major money to invest in?
Is there any in particular that people think are worth a look at?

I've checked Rabo & Quinn Life who I currently invest with and they current don't.

Thanks

Absolute return funds aren’t an asset class; they are more a type of investment strategy or strategies that are designed to (supposed to?) provide a positive return regardless of market conditions. As you are investing in the fund manager’s strategy rather than just going long in an asset class it’s difficult to see where absolute return funds would fit into a portfolio of diversified asset classes. So you would need to ask why you want to invest in them (apart from the bleedin’ obvious one of wanting to get rich). For example, if you want to hedge your portfolio against inflation or currency movements there are other ways of achieving this. Also you would have the same problem selecting a fund as someone selecting an actively manged equity fund – how do you know the fund you select now will provide you with absolute returns over the period of your investment horizon?

todays indo

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/investments/absolute-return-funds-its-a-safe-bet-1868301.html

Back