AA Insurance - failure to refund

M

Mule

Hi all,

Here's my story:

On August 23rd 2005, I was added as a named driver [Male/26/Provisional] on my Dads insurance policy, Third Party, Fire and Theft with his insurer AA Insurance. The cost was circa 750 Euro to insure me for the year, but I was told I could take myself off the policy at anytime during the year and be compensated for the period of insurance I didn't use.
On the 28th of October 2005, my Dad called AA and requested I be removed from his policy and he was told to send in his Insurance disk and a letter confirming the policy ammendment. This was sent on the 29th of October 2005. He received no reply from them and we forgot about following it up.

In January he called again and enquired as to what the story was, and was told that I was still a named driver on his policy and that they had never received the Insurance disk in the post. In the meantime I had purchased a car myself and was insured as of 4th November 2005 Fully Comprehensive.

He called again in January and was told that it appeared that his Insurance disk had been 'lost' in the post. He was advised that it might not be possible to back date the Insurance refund to late October. He was advised that a letter would be sent out to him so he could get another Insurance disk and particulars sent back out to him. Both Dad and myself were getting fed up with this at this point, so I said I'd call in to Drury St to try and sort this out.

After my visit to AA today, I am no better off than before - that is they agreed to refund me 360Euro of the 750Euro I originally paid and they are refusing to refund me the period between the end of Oct 2005, when I was originally taken off the policy (or so I thought) and today, the 27th of January 2006. This is all despite the fact that I didn't even have Dads Insurance disk with me today - which is what they claim they needed on the 28th October 2005 to successfully remove me from my Dads policy.
In effect AA Insurance are pocketing a nice sum of I suppose about 200Euro due to what they say was mail lost in the post. I am quite annoyed over this as they displayed no Customer Focus whatsoever. My Dads record with Insurance companies is impecable, no crashes or claims ever in his driving career. I put it to them in this light that some Good Will or common sense be applied to the situation, but they were interested. I understand the lady in AA, who was as helpful as she could be, was doing her job, and I don't believe in chewing someones head off over something like this, so I didn't. I realise that she has nothing whatsoever to do with saying 'Yes' or 'No' to my full 9month-ish refund request - but it was extermely frustrating not getting any joy out of todays venture to Drury Street.

I'm just putting my experience on the board, just to see if anyone has come across similar issuess with AA or indeed anyone else.

What would people recommend as the next course of action?

you may not have been entitled to a refund. It may be in the first year of insurance, when penalty short period rates can apply. This is due to admin costs in setting up the policy etc.

If however, the certificate was returned with the explicit instruction to delete the named driver and a refund was promised, then you could always write direct to the insurer, with a copy to the AA.

Curiously I had the same problem with Quinn Direct. They just hate giving refunds. Phone call, followed by letter, letter not received, followed by receipt of disclaimer that disk lost, this letter returned but not received, copy sent out, letter acknowledged, no new cert issued, phone calls, new cert issued, no change to named driver, written letter etc etc etc.

Was on the point of going over to Blanch to sort it out on the doorstep when they finanally agreed but watch out they don't refund amounts less than €50 euro. You pay for what you get with Quinn.

Back