AA inspected car - clutch now gone

boberto

I bought a 2nd-hand car privately last October, comforted by the fact that the AA had inspected it and given it a clean bill of health. Cost me €300+.
The clutch is now gone and I'm a bit annoyed to be facing such a hefty bill after about 5k miles of motoring.
Should the AA mechanic have spotted this (wear/tear etc - car ignorant so I have no idea what that could be) during this inspection, and if so have I any recourse with them?
If its the kind of thing that can only be diagnosed when it happens, I can live with that. I kind of expected the AA inspection would ensure no near-term disasters. Car has about 47k on the clock, so I can only assume the previous owner drove it to bits - or else its been clocked (mind racing overtime now).

I'd appreciate any views on this. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a mechanic but unless the clutch is on its last legs I doubt that an AA inspection would pick it up. You're probably right about the previous owner ruining the clutch. They should not normally wear out that fast unless as you say the car is clocked. Don't think you would have much recourse back to the AA. They surely are covered in the fine print.

A clutch that was nearly gone wouldn't last 5,000 miles. Every second hand car will have signs of wear and tear on them, hence there not new.
With a clutch all modern cars will try and take up the slack with showing wear and tear so you don't see it until it's really close to going.

Maybe just for sport some day you should just take a look at the way you drive and check how much you ride the clutch etc.

Not being bad but everyone thinks there great drivers until they take a look at different situations we face on a day to day drive, there at lights, hill's etc and then see they do it as well.

Thanks for your responses. I think what concerns me most is the clutch going on a car with 47k miles on it. The last 2 cars I had (both bought 2nd-hand) had 100k and 75k on the clock when I moved on, with me putting about 45k on each. There was never a clutch problem with either, so I don't think its my driving that's caused this.
Does anyone know if its particularly unusual for a clutch to go with mileage under 50k? Or can a clutch-rider cause this problem in a relatively short space of time?

Thanks for your responses. I think what concerns me most is the clutch going on a car with 47k miles on it. The last 2 cars I had (both bought 2nd-hand) had 100k and 75k on the clock when I moved on, with me putting about 45k on each. There was never a clutch problem with either, so I don't think its my driving that's caused this.
Does anyone know if its particularly unusual for a clutch to go with mileage under 50k? Or can a clutch-rider cause this problem in a relatively short space of time?

A clutch can burn out in a very short space of time. Riding the clutch is one of way of this happening.

Clutch could be burnt out in a day or less if you wanted.

Your wondering about yours going with less that 50k, what sort of car do you drive? Dsl or petrol etc

We find out that it could be release bearing or cover or flywheel etc.

Mr2,
Car in question is an Audi A4 2002 - 2.0 petrol. Its revving to the moon to get moving at all (even in reverse) although its not too bad at higher gears.

Back