A3 headache

Nell

Hi Guys.
I recently bought a 1999 1.6 petrol A3, with 36000 miles. Knew at time of purchase i should probably get a new timing belt done. any advise on where to go in dublin to get this done at reasonable price, ive been quoted 600/650 so far with a 2 week wait appearing to be the norm?

new timing belt at 36000 miles seems early to me. I though 60k was more the norm. Is this a precautionary measure, or are you aware that it is on (or past) its last legs?

new timing belt at 36000 miles seems early to me. I though 60k was more the norm. Is this a precautionary measure, or are you aware that it is on (or past) its last legs?

FWIW, when the Alfa 147 originally came out it was recommended that the timing belt be changed at 72,000 miles. This was subsequently revised to 36,000 miles.

Granted Alfas would have poorer than average reputations for reliability.

Suggest you check an Audi user forum (I'm sure one exists) for info and suggestions on where to go in Ireland.

€600 sounds reasonable enough, based on what I was quoted previously for a 147.

Car companies usually suggest a general milage figure for changing of timing belts. But if anyone is familiar with rubber products, they wear down not only with use but with age.. you could have a very low milage car that is about 10 years old and will urgantly need the belt changed. I'd suggest you have the belt looked at for signs of deteriation.

The water pump is also usually changed when doing timing belts and that why the price seems a little on the high side

Yeah - I was told that because she was 7 years old its needed. its also idling a little bit off, i was also told this is a sign to change the belt. I was quoted 450 by an audi dealer in waterford, which i thought was very reasonable.

Definitely don't mess with the timing belt....If it needs doing then get it done.....One option for you would be to get a belt in 'OTTO' they used to be in Ranelagh but might have moved....I got a timing belt (amongst other things ) for my Audi there and my own mechanic fitted it for about 200 blips !

r2d2

a timing belt is only €20. Water pump maybe about €40. Its the labour involved in the actual removal and fitting of the timig belt correctly

just got a new timing belt today among other things for laguna
( so we're on beans and toast for the week) but i was told its after 50k miles or 5 years driving

i know yeah its the labour thats so pricey and then youre looking at waiting at least a week to get the car seen!

I had a Timing belt changed on a Seat Leon with the same engiine a few years ago and while the belt was cheap it's the belt tensioners that push the price up on the parts side of thing, I paid €160 euro for parts alone.
But I was lucky I had a mate in a VW garage who changed it one saturday for €100. You will get it done a lot cheaper outside Dublin but then you have to factor in travel time etc so you may not save that much overall.

Hey everyone, i just bought an AUDI A3, '03, 1.6 sport 59,000 miles on it. The guy i'm buying from says the timing belt doesn't need changing until 75k. Does anyone actually know? Pls help, as the car is a steal.

650 is too much for a timing belt changed, I got an A3 belt changed last year Kilkenny for 350 (audi dealer qouted ~400).
The belt kit was ~100 + Vat, the rest is labour, max 2-3 hrs

Back