A way of ruling out the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning?

queenlex

Hi guys,

I was just wondering is there any way of ruling out this possibility? Is for example keeping windows open adequate? I have also heard this poisoning is also possible in an oil heated house is this correct? Excuse the ignorance not an area I am too educated on, thanks in advance,

Q

Re: A way of ruling out the possibility of carbon monpxide poisoning?

Hi

We were only talking about this the other day and I believe there is an alarm you can buy like a smoke alarm which monitors carbon monoxide. It has to be linked to your boiler I think for it to work.

That's all I know I'm afraid. Maybe a gas expert on here could verify.

Phoenix

I think there's a testing strip you can buy that will monitor carbon monoxide output. A friend of mine had a dodgy boiler and it turned out there were high levels of carbon monoxide and she now measures it. I haven't seen them in shops but would imagine they are available in B&Q or maybe Bord Gais will be able to tell you where to get them.

Sprite

Woodies DIY sell the mains-powered ones made by the EI Company, Shannon.

There are some previous threads on carbon monoxide

might give some advice also.

I saw carbon monoxide alarms just the other day in Argos while buying smoke alarms for my house. They look just like a smoke alarm does only they are a little bit more expensive. They were around the 44euro mark I think, while a basic smoke alarm will only cost around 14euro. But they are well worth it considering they could save your life! I think they had a couple of models to choose from also, so you should check it out.

We just bought an all in one carbon minoxide and smoke alarm detector. Initally found it hard to locate a comined alarm that runs on batteries. But as other posted mentenioned they are also stocked in Argos.

Ours also has a voice warning. Different warning activated for smoke or carbon minoxide levels.
This is the one we bought.

http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Battery-Operated-Combination-Monoxide-KN-COSM-B/dp/B00004WA4C[broken link removed]

Its not on the Argos.ie website but as far as I remember its in their catalogue.

Back