A summer alternative to Skiing

MissRibena

Hi all

This is a bit of a long shot but it wouldn't be the first time that AAM came up with the goods, so here goes ...

I've been seriously bitten by the skiing bug and am absolutely heartbroken at the thought of the end of the season for another year. I was never the sporty type really but I keep fairly fit; walk and cycle a bit and go the the gym regularly. However, all my usual keep-fit things seem sooooo dull after a week's skiing and I'm trying to find something I can do on my doorstep that might replace the buzz. Has anyone any ideas?

I'm in the midlands (v. close to shannon/lough ree), can swim well but am ultra seasick on boats. Tried surfing once before but didn't fall in love. I don't think I'd be into the power-boat/jet-ski thing. I'm thinking of trying windsurfing this time. Has anyone any recommendations of where to learn (there are tonnes of places on the net)? Or any alternative suggestions?

Thanks
Rebecca

I'd start with somewhere near the sea for windsurfing . . .

z

Why not try water skiing? Or wake boarding. You could do it on the lake.
Its such a buzz - as good as skiing!

With windsurfing, I used to go with a group called WOWI (Women of Windsurfing Ireland). Its not a girls only group - but more to encourage girls to do windsurfing. Its great fun and the people in the club are lovely. They organise beginners weekends a few time a year. Their website is www.wowi.ws. I'd definitely recommend them.

I know you get sea sick on boats, but how about a dingy/laser (small one or two man boat). Sailing is great fun too - when the wind picks up you really feel the power of the boat.

I also miss skiing in summer, but my summer sport is scuba diving. You could try that too.

Thanks everyone.

Have decided I'm going to drag himself on an adventure weekend type thing and try a couple of things. Am thinking of one in Carlingford. I was on one before but wasn't really impressed with the quality of the "tuition".

Rebecca

I would second wake-boarding. here in switzerland loads of skiers/snow-boarders wake board in the summer months. Great great fun