A Stamp ...prior ..Public service

deco87

I worked before joining public service.
50 A ..Stamps or so.
35 years done in public service..Not A stamps.
Now I'm told that if I have 10 years A Stamps I'm going to retire in next few months ...I'm 55 I will be entitled to a state pension at 67 (68) ...

This is confusing me.....seems if I didnt work (50 stamps) before joining public service ...i would get the Full contributory pension ...provided I had the 10 years A stamps.....

The fact I had the 50 A stamps means I will only get a partial pension ....as it will be now worked out pro rate over my 35 years as a public servant .....as I have the 50 A stamps from prior to starting in public service......anyone been in this position?

Under the current “”totals and average” system you need a minimum of 520 A Stamps (10 years) to get the minimum pension (40% of State Pension). Not sure however that you would get the full State Pension if you first started contributing to A Stamps at 55 having previously been a B or D Stamp. The current system is based on when you first entered the PRSI system (whether A or B/D).
It is true to say that if you emigrated into Ireland at say age 55 and worked in the private sector (A Stamp) for say 10 or 11 years then you would qualify for a full pension , because your “average” contribution per annum would exceed 48. This is an anomaly in the current system.
HOWEVER, all this is due to change in the next 2 to 3 years when the calculation basis is expected to move to a 1/40th of State Pension for each year of contribution. So I expect your query will be academic in time..

Last edited:
Under the current “”totals and average” system you need a minimum of 520 A Stamps (10 years) to get the minimum pension (40% of State Pension). Not sure however that you would get the full State Pension if you first started contributing to A Stamps at 55 having previously been a D or D Stamp. The current system is based on when you first entered the PRSI system (whether A or B/D).
It is true to say that if you emigrated into Ireland at say age 55 and worked in the private sector (A Stamp) for say 10 or 11 years then you would qualify for a full pension , because your “average” contribution per annum would exceed 48. This is an anomaly in the current system.
HOWEVER, all this is due to change in the next 2 to 3 years when the calculation basis is expected to move to a 1/40th of State Pension for each year of contribution. So I expect your query will be academic in time..
Super answer thks

Back