A question about vaccines - MMR/SmallPox

casiopea

This question is more for the ladies (as I think only girls got this). We are debating in the office the mark on the top of our left arm. When we were 12/13 we received this jab and its left a tiny mark on the top of our left arm. What was this? The consensus around the office is MMR or SmallPox and google hasnt answered our question.

I believe only girls got this jab, but that doesnt really make sense (as a guy could get measles or smallpox).

Can anyone clear this up?
cas

Last edited:
Was this not a jab against german measles as there can be complications if you get it while pregnant.

Yes, thats what I thought too (explaining why only the girls got it), some people here feel its smallpox.

Smallpox hasn't been vaccinated against in years. My parents had it done, it's three very large round scars on the arm.

Kids nowadays get the BCG on the top left arm so it would be that, the BCG is for boys and girls. The one that girls only is is the rubella one they do a test on the inside of your wrist first it's a circle of little dots and depending on reaction you get the vacination, open to correction though but the BCG is definatley given in tope left arm.

If it's girls only and vaccination was given when they were c13 then I'd say it's Rubella (German Measles). Normally not a serious virus but can cause congenital defects to foetus if mother is infected during 1st trimester, hence only girls are vaccinated. I remember the needle well - it had a huge bore, horrible for anyone with a needle phobia!

Forgot to say; this was given in our upper left arm

it is the bcg scar. Some people do not have it as some counties did not vaccinate in the 70s, Cork for example. Vaccines are usually given in the non dominant arm, hence the left one.

Smallpox has not been vaccinated against for a long time.

Its definately the BCG scar. Didn't get this myself so no mark but friends who did all have the mark. My husband has the mark so boys get it too. some areas advocate the injection and some don't. My sister lives in clare and they are advised for babies to get them. We are in cork and none of my kids did.

Back