A month in Oz!

DeKi

Hi all,
Am planning going to Oz mid Dec to mid Jan.
Flying to Sydney
Hiring a camper van - travelling as far as Cairns - Whit Sundays
Any help/suggestions for me?-maybe you have done something similar and may be able to point me in the right direction!!! Cheap flights/must sees etc... Thanks a mill!!

do a search on this forum - there have been many many posts in the past about what to do/see in Australia

Hi Deki,

Did similar for about 5 1/2 weeks, superb time, Did Brisbane to Cairns for about 3 weeks, flew Cairs to Sydney and drove, cross country rather than coast, to Melbourne.
Whit Sundays brill, sailed around them in yacht for 3 days.
Fraiser Island definetly worth doing,
enjoyed the joy of driving and openness,
We didn't spend to much time in any of the cities, sydney like any city really, others a bit unique but the countryside/small towns was where we wanted to be,
Sydney harbour for new years eve was very good, probably only c it once was don't get blotto and miss it!

In terms of advise don't over plan, do as much as you can every day without being under pressure ( Ozzie's don't do pressure!!) Enjoy just being there,
every day will be a new adventure
Getting all nostalgic here ....... :)
Only rule we had was no pub more than once and where possible avoid irish pubs, wanted to go drinking with Irish people could ave stayed at home.

went last year for a month, drove from Cairns to Sydney some nice places along the way Brisbane worth a look and Byron Bay was really lovely when we went. Cairns itself was ok nice weather but full of back packers (which we were too but it was thronged!) there is a small town called port douglas just up about an hours drive from Cairns, if you've time its a really nice little town with a nice beach. Not sure if you're planning going all the way over the other side of Aus but Perth is really lovely too i much preferred it to Sydney.

Try Virgin for internal flights(I think it's Virgin Blue)-big country can get sick of driving/bussing)
Recommend Carins-but only if u're interested in diving,Fraser Island is fantastic,Whitsundays excellent & Byron Bay.

Back