A HARD BREXIT FOR UK DRIVING LICENCE HOLDERS IN IRELAND CAN MEAN - RESIT TEST TO CHANGE LICENCE- WHAT ABOUT CTA?

NOAH

I saw on telextext tonight that if you have a UK licence and living in Ireland, and its a hard brexit, then unless you change licence before 31st October you will have to resit test to get irish licence and may be classed as a learner for insurance purposes. Is this real? What about the Common Travel Area agreement does that not cover licences? Or is it only for non drivers?

Am I reading this right? I'm 69 soon so if I do change my licence will only last a year. Surely this cant be right?

In the case of a no-deal Brexit, then a UK license is no longer valid as an EU driving license, and there would be no agreement in place to recognise it to allow it to be exchanged.

In the case of a no-deal Brexit, then a UK license is no longer valid as an EU driving license, and there would be no agreement in place to recognise it to allow it to be exchanged.

Yaay!...for Brexit!:(
Presumably the UK will reciprocate? EU driving licences not recognized under UK law?
This will be an inconvenience and a cost for cross-border trade. So much for frictionless trade.

Yaay!...for Brexit!:(
Presumably the UK will reciprocate? EU driving licences not recognized under UK law?
This will be an inconvenience and a cost for cross-border trade. So much for frictionless trade.
If it stops all the scumbags avoiding penalty points by driving on a UK licence then it will be worth it.
The problem isn't driving in another country on a licence issued where you live. The problem is driving in your own country on a foreign licence.

I think your first sentence rings a bit hollow when Irish drivers who get caught for speeding the uk don't have points added to their licence. A uk licence is not a foreign licence as the UK is in the EU. The UK have the good sense to accept a EU licence after brexit.
And your first sentence is totally shot down when you read here:

yes irish drivers who are caught and avoid penalty points are they ......

The irish government are assuming that it will be a hard brexit and are scaremongering because they see a quick buck, shame on them when they then espouse to get on with their close neighbour.

I think your first sentence rings a bit hollow when Irish drivers who get caught for speeding the uk don't have points added to their licence. A uk licence is not a foreign licence as the UK is in the EU. The UK have the good sense to accept a EU licence after brexit.
And your first sentence is totally shot down when you read here:

yes irish drivers who are caught and avoid penalty points are they ......

The irish government are assuming that it will be a hard brexit and are scaremongering because they see a quick buck, shame on them when they then espouse to get on with their close neighbour.
So you're argument is that because other things are wrong it doesn't matter that this thing is wrong. Strange logic.

Do you not think it would be better if each problem was addressed?

Back