A Fraudulant Direct Debit!

Lizard

A friend of mine has just found out that 50 euros a month is being debited from her account since last December, by a company she never heard of. She has her suspicions as to who might have falsely set up this direct debit - they had her bank details, and they were in a position to copy her signature. She rang the bank and was told that they would get in touch with the company and ask them to give her a ring to reassure her, but if this turns out to be fraudulent, what should she do? Will the bank refund her? Can the person who falsely set up the dd using her signature be traced? Thank you.

Unless she signed a direct debit mandate the Bank had no authority to pay the DD's from her account. She should contact the Bank and request a copy of the mandate. If it is not signed by her then she should request a refund in full from the Bank.

She is entitled to a full refund of all unauthorised direct debits on her account up to 13 months. Any unauthorised dd older than 13 months she would not be entitled to a refund.

Ask to see the Direct Debit Mandate and once it's not your signature you are entitled to a refund. You can then pass a copy of the mandate to the Guards who can follow us and attempt to trace the person responsible for the setting up the transactions on your account.

I myself had DD to Vodafone on my account last month which I had never authorised. I have never had dealings with Vodafone in the past so couldn't hv set it up. I rang vodafone and was passed from "Billy to Jack". Eventually gave up in frustration and decided to wait until following monday to trying getting through again. However in the meantime I notice that my Perlico DD for my landline/broadband has not been debited from my account that month. Putting two & two together and googling a little bit, I realised that Perlico had been bought over by Vodafone and hence the DD will now appear as "Vodafone". Pity vodafone never had the courtesy to let me know. Would have saved me a lot of grief trying to get through to Vodafone.

Hi Happy girl, although my friend has not got to the bottom of it yet, we have figured something similar has happened. She bought an electrical item a few months ago, and her details were mistakenly (we think) passed onto a financial company which deals HP. Human error possibly. She hasn't heard back from either the Bank nor the company.. yet. But thanks anyway for your answer.

The absence of a direct debit mandate does not prove it's fraudulent as a lot of companies now set up DD's through the "originator plus" method i.e over the phone or online where no mandate is required.

However there should be no issue with getting all these transactions refunded as you are covered for unauthorised DD's.

Back