A few questions for recently married people

R

r2d2

Hi All,

I'm trying to help a friends father do a business plan for setting up a wedding car hire company. If you've been married in the last few years I'd really appreciate your thoughts and experience on this...

If you hired a wedding car...

1. Did you hire an additional car for the groom or parents etc. ?
2. Did you choose a modern or vintage car ?
3. What was the most important factor for you, the type of car, the price or a friends recommendation ?
4. Any other comments that you deem relevant ?

I would appreciate any help you can give as I know literally nothing about this.....!

Thanks,

r2d2

Hi there,

In answer:

1. Just hired one car to do two runs.
2. Chose a vintage bentley
3. Most important was the type and colour of car, then price.
4. The driver was extremely grumpy so make sure everyone dealing with
the prospective couple on the day is nice

Hi R2.. (if you count recently as in the last 5 years, Im in)

1. Did you hire an additional car for the groom or parents etc. ? -- no, I know some who did but this wouldnt be the norm

2. Did you choose a modern or vintage car ? -- we got an old rolls but would have taken a ferrari for the day and driven it myself if I could have found one

3. What was the most important factor for you, the type of car, the price or a friends recommendation ? -- friends recommendation put me on to the guy but he had the car we were looking for so I suppose a bit of both

4. Any other comments that you deem relevant ? -- wedding car business seems a bit restrictive, the guy we got also had stretch limos and mini-busses and a cab, might be better to look at the whole business rather then just weddings. Bearing in mind majority of weddings are on fridays and saturdays restricts the amount of days he could make money so again another reason to look at other means of making money from the business.

Hi,

My sister got married in July and hired a car - sorry I can't remember what type, just that it was a vintage one. It had two rows of seats which meant that the two bridesmaids could travel with the bride and father of the bride to the church.
The driver was great. The weather was awful - gale force winds and rain. He came fully supplied with golf umbrellas. He got everyone else into the car and went back to the house for my sister. He managed to hold an umbrella over her and lift her dress (to a respectable level ) and got her into the car with hardly a hair out of place.

So to summarise - space and driver consideration are what's needed!!

I'm getting married myself next year and probably won't hire a car as we're trying to keep costs to a minimum but (don't laugh guys!) if the skirt of my dress is very full I may get one to make sure the dress isn't messed up!! If my fiance had his way I'd arrive with him on the back of his motorbike!

Hope this helps, Triona

1. Did you hire an additional car for the groom or parents etc. ? No Used my brothers car was new at the time
2. Did you choose a modern or vintage car ? Vintage, I was at a wedding where they had a ferrari as the wed car, one of the guests organised it but I have no idea where he got it from.
3. What was the most important factor for you, the type of car, the price or a friends recommendation ? Colour of car I think...don't know the wife picked it!
open to correction on this but I think the driver will need to have a PSV licence as well.

1. Did you hire an additional car for the groom or parents etc. ? No, the car did two runs, and the grooms side all made their own way there in FIL's car.
2. Did you choose a modern or vintage car ? Modern car, it was a merc.
3. What was the most important factor for you, the type of car, the price or a friends recommendation ? The guy was a FOAF, and did us a good deal. We weren't at all bothered by what sort of car we had, as long as we all got there in one piece. He was very cheerful and friendly, and that helped.
4. Any other comments that you deem relevant ? He had his own ribbon, which wouldn't damage the paintwork. He also was very particular about the cleanliness of the car, inside and out.

1. Did you hire an additional car for the groom or parents etc. ? NO one car for Bride. Friend drove the bridesmaids. mother of bride went with family. In general we thought it too expensive for another car.
2. Did you choose a modern or vintage car ? Vintage
3. What was the most important factor for you, the type of car, the price or a friends recommendation ? Picked the type of car i.e. vintage then colour then price.
4. Any other comments that you deem relevant ? As part of deal champagne was supplied and we factored this into cost as others gave no champagne and included as opptional extra. The champagne we got however was more like vinegar. Thats the memory that stands out most depsite the service being good. Even managed to get the bride to the church 5 mins early.

Married six years ago so don't know if I'm too old to partake in this survey but anyway:

1. Did you hire an additional car for the groom or parents etc? - No
2. Did you choose a modern or vintage car ? - Vintage - 1926 (I think)Rolls - fabulous car (guy said it was the only one in Ireland) - open topped drivers seat and enclosed rear
3. What was the most important factor for you, the type of car, the price or a friends recommendation ? - type of car, then price - I really wanted a vintage and not a 1960's car or a kit car but a real vintage
4. Any other comments that you deem relevant ? - guy took his job and his car seriously and had the chauffeur outfit to match the date of the car-and he was good fun

Folks....Thanks so much for all the replies. He is aware of the need for a PSV licence. He needs to choose carefully regarding set up costs ie; he won't be able to do minibus and stretch limo work as well. Extremely interesting to see how many went for Vintage cars.....That may necessitate a change of mind on the vehicle he was considering.

Once again,

Thanks,

r2d2

Hi,

I am getting married next year however I booked my cars the other day. I booked a beaufort for myself and HTB and a silver mercedes for the bridesmaids/groomsmen. The colour and price were very important to me, well more so the money as long as the car is clean and well presented. Found dealing with the people so far very very good. A smile goes along way!

r2d2, an interesting sideline if ye go for a vintage car is the film/TV business - there are regular enquiries to vintage car clubs for vehicles when doing "period" dramas, movies, etc. Would be worth joining the local vintage car club if ye get going! And don't rule out the "debs" business which might help between weddings!

. Did you hire an additional car for the groom or parents etc. ?
No, have only seen that maybe once, I think even renting 1 car is a bit of a cod as there is 1 person in every family / extended family now adays that has a good car that would do the trick.

Vintage, Rolls or something

3. What was the most important factor for you, the type of car, the price or a friends recommendation ?
He was local, does a lot of weddings and a nice guy.
He also has a spare / standby car for emergency use if the main one fails.

If you got a more modern type of car perhaps the occasional chauffering job might be available, like a couple on a special wedding anniversary or to the airport for a special holiday or whatever.

Did you hire an additional car for the groom or parents etc. ? No didn;t hire but was tempted for the groom, instead hired a car for weekend so we had it for the weekend, rather than a chaffeur driven.
2. Did you choose a modern or vintage car ? MOdern Merc
3. What was the most important factor for you, the type of car, the price or a friends recommendation ? ALl taken in to account.
4. Any other comments that you deem relevant ? THe extras that some include such as personalised number plates, champagne (a decent bottle), soft drinks, asked our favourite songs and had a cd done up for us which was played in the car on way to reception.
Some extras cost others were as standard.

Hi,

we hired a vintage car for our wedding. Our driver was a young guy who was shouting out the window at his friends (think they were making arrangements for a night out) who happened to be passing by while we were stuck in traffic - not very romantic. he also insisted on going along the busiest route, thereby making a 15 mins journey well over an hour !!!

Also - no champers which would have been nice

No

Silver Bentley 1963

Type, followed closely by price

Friendliness of driver is paramount. Car should be gleaming...

No they drove themselves
Modern car
Safety and value for money.
I certainly didn't want to driven around in a vintage car with no safety restraints.