A car for all occasions

micheller

OK, starting to think about next car so looking for some advice. We are a 1 car household so this car needs to fit a few bills. It will be used for commuting approx. 250miles/wk. It will also be used as a family car for 2 adults, 2 babies & dog :) .For shopping, town runaround etc. So, need a large car and a car that's efficient for commuting too. Oh and price is a factor.

I'm now stuck between buying cheap and 1yr- like the KIA Soul (though I don't like it)- or old with lots of space and comfort like an 06/07 7 seat santa fe or ssanyong. So that's the first place I need advice.

Then these are the models Ive thought about- any advice? 1/2yr KIA Soul or Peugeot 307SW or older Santa fe, ssanyong?
All advice gratefully received :)

Skoda Octavia diesel estate, or if the Kia Soul lights your fire, look at the Skoda Roomster diesel.

I don't understand the 7-seater options, as to fulfil the roles you've defined you'll need the back seats out or folded down nearly all the time.

I need a car where I have at least 5 full seats. Or the normal 2 and a bit in the back, plus some more decent seats. That's why I'm considering an older 7 seat. I don't want to have to change car for a long while again.
I'm finding with 2 baby seats in the back of a roomy enough 5 seat car that it's actually really only a 4 seat car.

I don't really like skoda's though maybe I should learn :eek:
At the moment I'm leaning toward peugeot 307sw.

edit: just looked at the roomsters there and they all seem to be 1.2l which wouldn't be great would it? And the roomster and octavia both seem to be the 2 normal, one tiny back seat?

Micheller, so far you have stated that size, efficiency (economy?) and price are factors - you need to decide on other priorities too, e.g. reliability, aesthetics, driving experience, badge (if relevant) etc etc

Personally, for reliability alone I would never buy a Peugeot (or Renault or Fiat or...)

When you say you 'don't like Skodas' do you mean just the appearance/badge? Because really, there is not a lot wrong with them for the price.

Hi there, I know, I know :eek:
I'm finding it very very difficult to make decisions on this one. I have a Citroen already and touch wood- I haven't had trouble with it. Maybe that's why I'm considering another French car.
I had a look there at the skoda's and whilst they aren't as dreadful as they used to be, I'd be left with the same cosy seating arrangement as far as I can see? Am I correct that the back seats are two full and one in between seat?

My number one priority is at least 5 full seats and a decent boot.
Then price and efficiency.

Thanks to everyone so far :)

We have a 07 Santa Fe automatic and it is great. We have a 2 year old boy and are hoping for a second so we need the space (buggies etc). It has 7 seats if needed, loads of boot space (when only using 5 seats), and my wife also uses it to commute from Carlow to Dublin 3-4 days a week. These "soft-roaders" are usually very ugly, but I think the Santa Fe (new model only) is the best of a bad lot looks wise. Highly recommended.

I'll consider the citroens again too, as they have the space I need- but they're pricey. As are the santa fe's

Kilkea- can you tell me how you find it on petrol/diesel and are the servicing costs high?

True- it's the different specs.
Well I have a few months to ponder some more as we need to wait to see what the budget does to our budget :eek:

Thanks for that Caveat :)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I've found a skoda I like. [broken link removed]
And it has 3 separate rear seats. Going to look for prices now....

Edit: I'm not sure that looks like a full 3rd middle seat, hmmm.

Thanks for that Caveat :)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I've found a skoda I like. [broken link removed]
And it has 3 separate rear seats. Going to look for prices now....

Edit: I'm not sure that looks like a full 3rd middle seat, hmmm.

Well the site does say "The VarioFlex system provides three separate rear seats that can tilt, slide, fold and be removed independently."

Kilkea- can you tell me how you find it on petrol/diesel and are the servicing costs high?

The version we have is the 2.2 diesel deluxe version. Overall its not bad on feul,however it is an automatic which is naturally more thirsty than a manual. Servicing is fine, same as any other car, however as it is a Hyundai it is very reliable and has had no problems whatsoever. The deluxe is expensive new, but there is great value in second hands. The annoying part is road tax...eur833 on the old system, eur1000 (I think) on the new system which can break your heart!!

Back