a/c or climate control?

macnas

What, if any, is the difference between these two; aircon and climate control?

Frank said:
Climate lets you pick a temp and automatically adjusts to suit.

Air con is the cheaper option as a result although I don't think the difference in cost would be justified in anything other than an executive class car IMHO. I have air con and rarely use it.

I have had both systems and I dont believe paying extra for climate control is worth it. Most of the time I find myself switching back to manual as the settings that the Auto control chooses dont suit me in terms of fan speed,temp,, air direction etc.

Funny i'd never buy a car today without an absolute minimum of aircon and i prefer the 'set and forget' nature of climate control.

I have to agree with Euro.

I pretty much set the cc for 20 degrees and leave it.

I think a lot of cars around passat size are putting in climate as standard.
Not worth extra payment but if you get it as standard then nice one.

I have to say the last few weeks the cc is a gift.
I wouldn't buy a car without it.

Still get 50 mpg with it on so I am happy enough.

Is this standard in all Passats? You drive a Passat diesel? Does a/c or c/c reduce engine hp?

I know someone who has a bmw 3 series and the climate control in it does not go below 18 degrees on the display. If you want it colder that 18 degrees you have to turn on the a/c. Is this normal ?

Yes, using the a/c or c/c does use power and more petrol or deisol.

If your car is idling and you switch on the a/c or c/c, you will hear the engine revs drop and the sound of the engine change as the a/c or c/c unit takes power from the engine. If your car has a smallish engine and you're driving uphill with the a/c or c/c on, try turning it off and the car will go faster!

Whatever the cost - its great on a hot day when you're stuck in a jam or going fast on a motorway. However, when just cruising, I personally prefer to have the windows or sunroof open. (You pays your money and takes your choice).

My Passat is diesel
I think cc is stabdard on all the new ones.
Not sure about the old ones.

I have a 2001 highline that has it anyway.
Never noticed any lack of power on the 130 regardless of climate on or off.

Back