a big quote to wire a bungalow I supply materials- shock

NOAH

I was going to run the wires myself with a bit of help from a friend and another guy was going to do all the chasing for 350.euro. So I have bought a lot of the materials, cable, power points, junction boxes, switches. However, both of us had bad falls so we are scuppered. I saw a sparkie last week and asked for a quote labour only!! I was shocked when I got quote

This a 4 bedroom bungalow, total re-wire, about 44 power points, few outside lights, and the usal switches/kitchen stufff, and stupidly I said I would like power for remote gates.

Got quote back 8,000 euro inc vat!! This was for 2 weeks work, 3 guys on site.

Is this real???

noah

ask him for a very detailed breakdown of costs [ex & including VAT] and then [and only then...] make the comparisons! It would be hard to say. We use a RECI qualified elictrician and some prices 'sound' to be through the roof[pun!] but on the one occasion I went against him[in ten years thats not bad] I regretted it. The job result was to be the same but the specification was VERY different!

MY ADVICE:
Check the small print on everything
Ask the advice of an architect or civil engineer - you may have to pay but it might be worth it AND
Ask them to write a specification of works for you THEN
Ask for three quotes
cheapest is not always best!
IF - you chose not to take this option get the electrician to give you IN WRITING a complete breakdown of works and ask some other RECI [registered] companys to quote

-let me know how you get on

Without knowing all the details, this sounds like a complete rip-off! 3-3.5k is the usual figure quoted for a 2 storey 3-bed, and that includes all required materials. A bungalow should be easier due to the ease of routing cabling through the attic rather than ripping up floor-boards, etc. 2 weeks work is too much for one person, let along three!

Search through the previous threads here, this question has been raised a number of times in the past, you may find recommendations for other electricians in those.
Leo

Hi Noah,This pricce does seem very expensive,if i were u id price around 1st. I got a quote for a 4bed bunglow for myself a few weeks ago and its e4400 incl all materials and those mk switches which is making that price that bit more expensive but thats what we want. definately try again,and best of luck

Back