99 starlet v 00 clio

foxylady

I currently drive a 00 clio but have chance to swap this for a 99 starlet. I have heard starlets are supposed to be very reliable cars, has anyone got any advice or opinions on this.

Grab the Starlet with both hands, assuming its a good clean little car that hasn't been abused. Its a far superior product to the Renault, IMHO.

Absolutely agree - grab the starlet, fantastic reliable car. Had a 1991 starlet up until last year when finally traded it in for a Yaris. Never any problems with it and it always passed its NCT.

Take the Starlet.........then change your address in case the Clio owner decides to change their mind!!

Without a doubt take the starlet...they're little gems of cars! This is my 3rd car in 6 years (honda got robbed and opel was disastrous)! Mines a 94 starlet..passed the nct last sep with flying colours and havent had one prob apart from a puncture in the 2 years ive had it (touch wood)!!

Saw something a couple of weeks back on BBC Watchdog about Renault(I think it was either Clios or Megannes) bonnets springing open when people were driving. Scared me off Renaults for life

Yes - think it's the Clio - in fairness I don't think it's a very widespread problem though. It's an OK car really (good diesels I believe) - unfairly tarnished by the Renault reputation.

Still, this problem or not, the Starlet any day over the Clio.

without doubt i would go for the Starlet - but make sure that its in good order.
i find it strange that a garage would offer such a swap ??

i had a 00 clio as my first car , ive had 6 cars since and have never gone back to a renault. speaks for itself really..........

if you can ensure the Starlet is a good clean car then def go for it

why do u think garage would not swap , when the clio is a newer car?

Surprised at the one sided nature of replies so far - in the interest of balance I'd plump for the Clio. Had one (my first car) and loved it - nippy, reliable and plenty of room for a little car. It all depends tho, are you happy with the Clio you have? What is the mileage on your car and what is on the Starlet.

Mileage on mine is 71k , its 5 door model. Starlet is 3 door with 5ok on it. Am happy with mine but have just always been told how much better starlets are

if you are happy with your car and at least you know your own history with the car i personally would stay with it for peace of mind

at least you know your own history

I agree with this myself, but my better half has a 97 starlet, & the only bother she has had with it for the last 5 years is that the battery needed to be changed once - great car. (he says whilst grasping onto wodden desk as typing this)

the clio will undoubtedly be a nicer car to drive and much more comfortable than the startlet, and if the clio has given you little or no trouble in the past then there is no reason why it should start being terribly unreliable in the future.

the posters who advised to buy the starlet obviously value reliability above all else - there is alot more to it than that (particularly when you have no reason to believe your car will fail)