99 Astra

danole

Here's one for the more technically minded out there.She's losing a bit of water-not much,but my mechanic's saying it's the water pump.Is it a big job on the Astra?If there's a lot of ripping,is it a good idea to do the 'belt at the same time?(not due for a while)Also,is it something that could pack up all of a sudden?Thanks!

Not that I'm technically minded, but this happened to my 99 Astra at approx 60k miles. The mechanic replaced both the pump and the belt at the same time (belts get replaced every 35k, I think)

if it's the water pump, get it replaced ASAP - get the belt done as well.... if you dont and the pump goes, you could be looking at a big job, and expensive at that (1200 eur...)

Hi I'm driving 00 Astra and just stumbled across your conversation. Just there last July(when the weather was really hot), my water completely emptied. At same time when I would turn off the engine, the fan would keep going for ages (I know nothing about cars but would assume this was to blame). It hasn't happened since and I'm not losing any water so could I be right or should I be worried

I have a 99 Astra has well and its advised that when you get the timing belt changed to get the water pump changed at the same time.

Total cost 300e in Opel here in Monaghan

Timing belt is due every 35k
Water pump is due every 50k

Water pump is easy to do at the same time as the timing belt, hence a decent garage will recommend doing the water pump every 35k, at the same time as the timing belt. Big job if water pump goes all of a sudden - i.e. I wouldn't leave it go. Also get them to check the timing belt tensioners.