96/97 Saab Convertible- any problems?

collis

Hi,

I've always liked this car ,mainly because it's big, safe and I assume refined (the convertibles seem to be well spec'd) and reliable. Seems to me they are also affordable now and that 10 grand will buy a good one.
Seeing as how I live in the 'sunny' South East :rolleyes: it seems like a great idea (hey, there's always next year) !
Any advice and opinions welcome, e,g do's and don'ts?
Thanks
C

1. I I were you I would wait until I could afford a post 98 (saab 93) ocnvertible, there's a lot of changes between the old (900) and new (93) model, despite the look.

2. For either 93 or 900, one common problem that's surfacing know if a fault in the design that causes firewall to crack. This is seen in very small number (less than a point percentage) of cars, but it would be worthy to check the car for it before you buy it. You can buy after market products that prevent that from happening while greatly improving handling of the car.

3. Unless you are into racing, do not get the VIGGEN version, it's too pawerful for it's own wheels! the 154bhp LPT (2.0L) provides more than enough power for anything, it's a really smooth, powerful and refined engine.

Hi,

I've always liked this car ,mainly because it's big, safe and I assume refined (the convertibles seem to be well spec'd) and reliable. Seems to me they are also affordable now and that 10 grand will buy a good one.
Seeing as how I live in the 'sunny' South East :rolleyes: it seems like a great idea (hey, there's always next year) !
Any advice and opinions welcome, e,g do's and don'ts?
Thanks
C

isn't the 93 just a opel vectra with a different body on it. The vectra ain't a great car so that doesn't look good for the saab

isn't the 93 just a opel vectra with a different body on it. The vectra ain't a great car so that doesn't look good for the saab

Not according to the Top Gear website:
"A Saab FSH is essential but apart from weak gearboxes they wear pretty well. The current 9-3 (based upon the latest Vectra platform) is a class act; on a par with the Germans but a lot more individual - like its drivers."

cool, but i still wouldn't trust anything based on an Opel.

I thought of a new Saab when we bought a Passat but couldn't bring myself to buy it with that info in my head.

2. For either 93 or 900, one common problem that's surfacing know if a fault in the design that causes firewall to crack. This is seen in very small number (less than a point percentage) of cars, but it would be worthy to check the car for it before you buy it. You can buy after market products that prevent that from happening while greatly improving handling of the car.

Thanks muffinsda, thats good stuff but if I can just make sure I understand you on the firewall issue, are you saying that scuttle shake is causing the firewall to crack? And if so, is the aftermarket solution a stabiliser bar (or whatever its called) across the engine bay?

cool, but i still wouldn't trust anything based on an Opel.

I thought of a new Saab when we bought a Passat but couldn't bring myself to buy it with that info in my head.

Thats fair enough, if I was buying new with my own money I'd probably go for the Passat too - depreciation is higher for Saabs I imagine - all the more reason to buy one second hand!

Thanks muffinsda, thats good stuff but if I can just make sure I understand you on the firewall issue, are you saying that scuttle shake is causing the firewall to crack? And if so, is the aftermarket solution a stabiliser bar (or whatever its called) across the engine bay?

The cracking is caused by too much flex in steering column, causing pressure on the firewall and eventually cracking it.
The aftermarket solution is a clamp and brace kit that holds steering rack. one of these, but the RHD version:
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=3225

As for other posters comments on Saabs being Vectras etc, that's non-sense. Drive a 154bhp 2.0l one and tell me if it feels like any OPEL. The engine is vastly superior, the safetly features make it as safe as houses, and the refinement is on a different level. As I mentioned many times, sharing platform doesn't mean cars are the same. Unless you think Audi A3 is the same as Skoda Fabia. So I wouldn't buy into that shallow non-sense if I were you, Collis.

'nuff said, on the trail of a 98/99 now, will look out for the firewall fault.
Appreciate it,

C

Back