850 jobs gone today?

ney001

Bank of Scotland pulling out of Ireland - that really is quite serious, 850 jobs in the country, a lot of which based in Louth which lost 200 jobs last week! - Thought we might have seen the last of the big closures!

100 new jobs being created by D & B ( formally Dun and Bradstreet).

Every cloud... etc.

850 - 100 = 750 jobs lost.

Hard to see silver linings with those figures

No silver lining that I can see either just the consolation that the job losses are not in one region only.
Oh and Bank of Scotland will still be here and employing 850. It's the intermediary business and Halifax branches that are closing.

Talking to people in there today, it seems to have been badly managed and handled. And that's putting it mildly.

Its bad news and it could be a sign of things getting alot worse in the coming months in the banking sector - all news sources are stating 750 jobs lost and not 850 though

It must be the Lisbon treaty kicking in.
Anyone remember that? 'Yes for Jobs' I believe the slogan was.

I very much doubt the lisbon treaty, or lack thereof made a whit of difference to managements decision to quit ireland

I very much doubt the lisbon treaty, or lack thereof made a whit of difference to managements decision to quit ireland
I too doubt it made any difference, hence my post.
The electorate were lead to believe otherwise.

I too doubt it made any difference, hence my post.
The electorate were lead to believe otherwise.

again, I doubt the relevance. You can't assume the truth of the matter, or lack thereof, from a single instance. The proof will be 10 years on whether or not inward investment and retention of jobs *in general* has steadily improved or declineddd

What's going to happen over the next ten years? Are we suddenly going to magically grow a 'knowledge economy' TM out of thin air?
Are 45 year old unemployed builders going to become IT experts overnight?

There is currently nothing being done to abate the jobs crisis. I understand that we have to start somewhere, but nothing is being done! All I can see happening is our money being given to BoI and AIB.

The Lisbon treaty had nothing to do with jobs for Ireland.

The Lisbon treaty had nothing to do with jobs for Ireland.

I agree, but Im simply pointing out that one company pulling out neither proves nor disproves the govt. propaganda on lisbon.

As regards the knowledge economy, no, it doesn't happen overnight, but then again we've been pushing it for years. It just happened there was easier pickings for a lot of folks in construction etc.

Its bad news and it could be a sign of things getting alot worse in the coming months in the banking sector - all news sources are stating 750 jobs lost and not 850 though

I cannot understand the banking sector.

We have people losing jobs, while others are receiving bonuses. Whats it all about, eh?

[QUOTE=galleyslave;1000031]I agree, but Im simply pointing out that one company pulling out neither proves nor disproves the govt. propaganda on lisbon.

As regards the knowledge economy, no, it doesn't happen overnight, but then again we've been pushing it for years. It just happened there was easier pickings for a lot of folks in construction etc.[/QUOTE]

But you can bet your bank balance that the Government would be claiming that the job losses (and thousands more) were a direct result of Lisbon had we voted NO

Very sad about those job losses in BOS. Young and highly educated employees, in whom the taxpayer has invested in through college education. It continues to be ironic how the policy makers at the top of the pyramid in banks who followed Anglo and others like lemmings over a cliff have generally escaped with big payouts and pension top ups to heal their wounded pride. These young people, many of whom will have mortgages and will probably be indebted to banks, now have to consider emmigration and the dole queue. I thought those prospects ended with our generation in the '70s and '80's. What a debacle. Bertie, as you sip your pint in Fagans tonight and Charle McCreevey, as you tuck into your moules frites in Brussels, I hope you spare a thought for those people who lost their jobs.

You can multiply this 750 by a factor of 4..... the loss is a multiplier as many other people are indirectly affected, taxi's that transported some of these people to work lose income, creches where these people had their kids and now will maybe mind them at home, painters, plumbers, that may have been working for these people. local shops where these people bought lunch etc.. Knock on affect of these jobs lost is huge.

Back to AIB and BOI. So we are going back to where we started? And I suppose if we had stuck with these institutions (which I did) we could have had two strong IRISH institutions but because of the pressure and better value, people moved their accounts etc. And so did the Irish Banks....they had to get competitive, for their shareholders, something they didn't have to do before, and THEY are in the situation today because of all of that! SHORT TERM GAIN......typically, greedy Irish, on all sides....nothing changes!!!!! And by and large, we are all guilty! And before anybody SLATES me, this is my personal opinion, which I am entitled to!

Bank of Scotland pulling out of Ireland - that really is quite serious, 850 jobs in the country, a lot of which based in Louth which lost 200 jobs last week! - Thought we might have seen the last of the big closures!

I am not surprised, it was well flagged last year that Halifax were not committed to staying in Ireland. If course, it is still a huge blow for the country and the 750 workers and all the ancillary jobs that will go.

We haven't seen the last of the job closures by a long way.........
We need to brace ourselves for more.

My prediction is a lot more redundancies in the banking sector and a shocking amount of retail closures and redundancies this year.