85,000 people getting rent assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand there is about 800,000 people renting in Ireland.

However the 85,000 above refers to tenancies. So on the assumption that each tennancy has 2 renters about 20% of tenancies are supported.

Interesting to understand the impact of that support on the market. There is a finite number of properties so more support will raise the cost resulting in more support required.

It's one unfortunate trait of our housing system. The State is over a barrel when it comes to housing assistance. If it were to withdraw, and allow the market to do its thing, over the mid to long-term, the market price would find its equilibrium.
However, over the short-term, increasing homelessness would shoot up.
Unable to pay rent, evictions would multiply. With nowhere to stay and no State supports crime levels would dramatically increase, vulnerable tenants selling drugs, prostitution. More money would be spent on law enforcement rather than social assistance, prisons would be at breaking point.
Generations will be lost in the cycle of poverty.

Yep, the State has outsourced the provision of social housing to the private sector and then legislated to force that private sector to behave like the State. The net impact is that landlords can't evict anyone who doesn't pay their rent of wrecks their property and those renting without State supports are paying way more than they should.

It's a shambles alright.
Yeah and the State does not seem to be actually building any significant numbers of properties rather they appear to want the private sector "build to rent" model to supply the housing needs of those on the housing list.

When the private sector landlords have a large enough control of the market and can act in a concerted manner wait and see what happens. Then the State is in for a whole other type of pain in the housing sector.

I do not think the State has employed construction workers for years, if not decades.

So if it suddenly took on all the construction workers to build public housing, where would that leave the rest of the construction industry including that part of it building private houses?

We could, of course, train more construction workers but that is not something you can do in a matter of weeks or even months

I do not think the State has employed construction workers for years, if not decades.

So if it suddenly took on all the construction workers to build public housing, where would that leave the rest of the construction industry including that part of it building private houses?

We could, of course, train more construction workers but that is not something you can do in a matter of weeks or even months
Builders who are public servants. I don't like the sound of that. There's a Dublin City council depot near where I work and it's a running joke watching them leave in the morning to park up down the road or be parked up nearby waiting for their shift to end so that they can go back to base.
The Local Authorities should employ contractors and subcontractors to do the building.

The last building boom could only happen because we had a massive influx of building trades people from Eastern Europe when only the UK and Ireland would let them in. It helped that they are generally more highly skilled and conscientious than their Irish counterparts.

Should people selling second hand cars have to take the financial circumstances and social needs of the purchaser into account or should they be allowed to sell to the highest bidder?

No, I wouldnt have thought so.
It's a poor comparison however, housing is a social necessity. Even one night without a roof over the head is a cause for concern.
Limerick family evicted
If I wanted to, I could live without a car my whole life. Many people do without any fuss.

When the private sector landlords have a large enough control of the market and can act in a concerted manner wait and see what happens.

I would have thought we are at that point already. 85,000 getting rent assistance and private rental rates at all time highs, housing waiting lists at all time highs, homelessness at all time highs.

Are you suggesting there is worse to come once the landlords concert together? What have they in store do you think?

No, I wouldnt have thought so.
It's a poor comparison however, housing is a social necessity. Even one night without a roof over the head is a cause for concern.
Limerick family evicted
If I wanted to, I could live without a car my whole life. Many people do without any fuss.
Yes, but is that social responsibility on the Landlord or the State?

I would have thought we are at that point already. 85,000 getting rent assistance and private rental rates at all time highs, housing waiting lists at all time highs, homelessness at all time highs.
Maybe I'm cynical but as long as they are giving out virtually free houses there will be a waiting list for those houses.
I've no doubt that homelessness is a real issue but there was a time when people lived with their parents until they could afford a house. Now they are homeless.

Yes, but is that social responsibility on the Landlord or the State?

The bottom line, it is the State who is responsible. Housing is a social necessity, without which the fabric and development of civilised societies would never have emerged. We have adopted a policy to outsource the provision of housing to the private market, where unfortunately, some landlords see the provision of housing as an investment for their own pension first, the provision of shelter second.

I've no doubt that homelessness is a real issue but there was a time when people lived with their parents until they could afford a house. Now they are homeless.

You are only classed as homeless if
  • There is no accommodation available that, in the opinion of the local authority, you and any other person who normally lives with you or who might reasonably be expected to live with you, can reasonably occupy or remain in occupation of, or
  • You are living in a hospital, county home, night shelter or other such institution, and you are living there because you have no suitable accommodation or
  • You are, in the opinion of the local authority, unable to provide accommodation from your own resources
If you are living with your parents and have resources to save, or to rent elsewhere, your are not classed as homeless.

some landlords see the provision of housing as an investment for their own pension first, the provision of shelter second.

And your saying it should be the other way round.... Seriously, Get real.

I offered a person a job last week, the one of the issues they had was, crikey LS, If you pay me more this will affect my Hap.... I need to weight this up..

An absolute joke.

ome landlords see the provision of housing as an investment for their own pension first, the provision of shelter second.

Are you suggesting that landlords should be motivated by altruism? When the state taxes them more than many other business type?

The state outsourced this as they are incapable of providing value for money in the provision of housing, and then incapable of collecting rent on what they do own. In fairness though, you have to admire the outsource it and tax it heavily model!

If you are living with your parents and have resources to save, or to rent elsewhere, your are not classed as homeless.

Oh, we had a fight, I can't live at home anymore....

Are you suggesting there is worse to come once the landlords concert together? What have they in store do you think?
the vast majority of landlords own one or two properties. They are forced to continue providing a service knowing full well the State has changed the law to protect the tenant at all costs. Even if a landlord can evict a tenant for non payment of rent the chances of recouping the lost rent is non existent.

The State is giving favourable treatment to the institutional landlords which is why they are the only ones increasing the rental stock. Once they get a large enough control of the market and if the State tries to treat them the way the State is currently treating the small landlord then expect the landscape to change.

The institutional landlords have the financial resources to take on the Govt through the courts. The individual landlord does not. The institutional landlords don't need to take the State on at the moment because of their
preferential treatment.

Do you honestly think they will let the State dictate their terms of business and just sit back and take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back