60KPH on the Nenagh Bypass (N7)

G

Gautama

Does anyone know the reason for the new 60kph speed limit on the Nenagh Bypass (N7)?

It's one of the best stretches of road along the N7, yet the speed limit has been reduced to 60kph and there is a line of traffic cones in the middle of the road (for about 5 miles). As a result, if there is a breakdown there could be absolute chaos.

I drove along this road on St Stephens night, at 60kph. When I came out at the Dublin end, I sped-up to 100kph. Then a car behind me, a few cars back, drove up alongside me on the wrong side of the road, blowing it's horn and flashing it's lights. I slowed, forcing him/her past me. Then he/she moved in front of me, and shimmied/fishtailed and braked.

I slowed further and put on my hazards to warn other motorists that all was not right, ie, that there was a nutter on the loose (probably holiday release over the Christmas period:))

Had I thought of it in time, I should have overtaken them again, as they'd slowed right down at this stage!:D

(for about 5 miles)
This madness actually extends just over 6 miles.

I measured it when I was snailing along, wondering where the workmen were (or even the slightest hint that there was actually work being carried out)

This madness actually extends just over 6 miles.

I measured it when I was snailing along, wondering where the workmen were (or even the slightest hint that there was actually work being carried out)

Hand on heart can you say that there is no sign of work being carried on there?

Say it's 6 miles long and you travel it at 60 KMs/hr how much longer are you on the stretch than if you were allowed drive at 100KMs/hr? At a guess I'd say minutes yet you want to put the safety of workmen at risk for a few loiusy minutes.

Does anyone know the reason for the new 60kph speed limit on the Nenagh Bypass (N7)? Its being upgraded top dual carriage way

It's one of the best stretches of road along the N7, yet the speed limit has been reduced to 60kph and there is a line of traffic cones in the middle of the road (for about 5 miles). As a result, if there is a breakdown there could be absolute chaos. There is a 24hr recovery helpline as there is on most roadways during upgarding, increasing the speed limit wouldn't reduce the chaos.

I drove along this road on St Stephens night, at 60kph. When I came out at the Dublin end, I sped-up to 100kph. Then a car behind me, a few cars back, drove up alongside me on the wrong side of the road, blowing it's horn and flashing it's lights. I slowed, forcing him/her past me. Then he/she moved in front of me, and shimmied/fishtailed and braked.

I slowed further and put on my hazards to warn other motorists that all was not right, ie, that there was a nutter on the loose (probably holiday release over the Christmas period:))

Had I thought of it in time, I should have overtaken them again, as they'd slowed right down at this stage!:D Did you report his erratic driving to the gardai?

I drove along here in early October, and experienced the same cones, the same speed limit and possibly the same looper who passed me on the wrong side near the end, And there were no workmen visible at all.

Looks like the road is being upgraded.

AA Roadwatch

Thing is, along that whole stretch you cannot see any works going on.
And, like already stated, it's the best stretch of road along the N7. It's the last part of that road that I'd upgrade as there are other parts that needs upgrading.

Yes.

... yet you want to put the safety of workmen at risk for a few loiusy minutes.

No, what workmen? There are no workmen there, neither on Dec 22nd or 26th!

Have you driven this stretch of road (very good quality, including a 1 KM climbing lane) recently?

How on earth did you force another car into doing something?

I was driving at about 100 KPH, the other car on the other side of the road was driving at about 100 KPH.

I braked, reducing my speed to approximately 80 KHP, however the other car was still moving at about 100 KPH. Therefore the other car was moving at a speed of 25% greater than my car, and as a result, passed me.

For months, maybe even a year, there has been a 50 kph limit on the (now) old road between Castleblayney and Annyalla in Co. Monaghan. There has been no sign of any roadworks taking place anywhere along that stretch of road.

I was driving at about 100 KPH, the other car on the other side of the road was driving at about 100 KPH.

I braked, reducing my speed to approximately 80 KHP, however the other car was still moving at about 100 KPH. Therefore the other car was moving at a speed of 25% greater than my car, and as a result, passed me.

Are you now saying the other driver decided to overtake you or are you still saying you forced him into a move?

There is a big difference between being forced to do something and deciding to do something.

Then a car behind me
the other car on the other side of the road
??

Thing is, along that whole stretch you cannot see any works going on.

It's not unusual to see speed restrictions in place before any work is done. They remain in place until the 'works' are finished, regardless of whether or not any work is going on, e.g. at weekends, holidays etc. The M50 being a perfect example. C'est la vie.

Guatama said:
And, like already stated, it's the best stretch of road along the N7. It's the last part of that road that I'd upgrade as there are other parts that needs upgrading.

Well regardless of what you think, they are upgrading the road. As to 'why' a question for the NRA perhaps?

[broken link removed] to the details of the scheme in question.

The Castletown to Nenagh section is currently at tender stage.

At the end of the 'works' it looks like dual carriageway/motorway all the way to Limerick.

That's what I posted. Why would I bother lying?

Say it's 6 miles long and you travel it at 60 KMs/hr how much longer are you on the stretch than if you were allowed drive at 100KMs/hr? At a guess I'd say minutes yet you want to put the safety of workmen at risk for a few loiusy minutes.

What workmen? Anyway;

1 mile = 1.609km
6 miles = 9.7km
Traveling at 60kph, time taken = 9 minutes 42 seconds
Traveling at 100kph, time taken = 5 minutes 49 seconds

For those of you that have travelled the road and haven't seen any sign of work have a look at both side of the road at the Limerick end of the bypass. There is heavy machinery digging and drawing backfill to allow for widening of the road. Maybe you were going too fast to notice.

There mighn't be workmen on site 24/7 but do you expect the contractor to have to erect and remove the safety cones before and after each workday?

I'm sure the local authority, NRA and the contractor had to carry our a risk accessment and agreeing a speed limit would have been a priority which the local authority implemented, if they allowed the speed limit to vary depending on when the workers were on site on what location they were working then the legal profession would have a field day.

It has been established the difference in between the restricted speed limit and the maximun speed limit is only 4 minutes - no argument really when you consider safety.

Yet another glaring example of the foresight in Irish planning in this whole scenario.
How long ago was this section of road completed andf yet we are now upgrading it.
Can we get any ****ing thing right in this country :mad:

It should have been made a dual carriageway when it was originally built.

Also watch out for Subaru Foresters monitoring your speed on this section of road.

Are you now saying the other driver decided to overtake you or are you still saying you forced him into a move?

The other car, which had previously been a few cars behind me, decided to drive on the other side of the road, immediately to my right, at approximately the same speed. I was uncomfortable with this situation so I slowed down, and as a result of my action, he/she passed me.

For those of you that have travelled the road and haven't seen any sign of work have a look at both side of the road at the Limerick end of the bypass. There is heavy machinery digging and drawing backfill to allow for widening of the road. Maybe you were going too fast to notice.

Nope, missed that.
Whether travelling at 60kph on the N7 or 120kph on the M7, I keep my eyes on the road.

It has been established the difference in between the restricted speed limit and the maximun speed limit is only 4 minutes - no argument really when you consider safety.

Statistically yes. However, tailbacks tend to cause frustration, as appears to be the case with this loonatic.
Going from 100kph to 60kph to 100kph along what I would argue is the best stretch of road between the M7 and Limerick, seems to be causing problems.
Delays tend to be caused by erratic speeds rather than slow speeds.

It's like pouring a bottle of Guinness into a glass. If you fill the glass at a constant pace, you get a perfect glass of plain. If you go fast, then slow, then fast, it's a disaster, all head and no body.:)

Back