600mm tile too big for hallway

ennisjim

Hi,

After many months searching for a suitable tile for kitchen/dining we located a very nice 600mm square porcelain tile. This will work well in the kitchen/dining which is 7.5m x 4.5m.
This space connects via a short (2m) corridor to an entrance hall which is approx 4.7m x 1.9m. My guess (and the opinion of some others) is that the 600mm tile will work fine in the smaller space in the hallway. This will mean continuous tile from entrance hall into kitchen/dining which should look good and have no breaks/thresholds hopefully.
I would welcome any opinions. Anyone used large tiles in similar situation ?
Thanks

My parents have done something similar. Tiles are probably only 300mm. Although the tiles through from the hall to kitchen to living room can make the place cold in winter, I have to say it creates a feeling of space in the house.

I have put down 600x600 in my corridor and kitchen 100sq metres of it. I am delighted with them. Very clean but I would agree with last can be cold but gives a great feeling off space because cream type. My corridor is just over seven foot wide and to be honest had I put 450x450 there I think they would have been lost. Ps I have seen same tiles as mine done in a similar corridor diagonally and it looks relly well, nicer than mine:-(

My personal opinion is that once 2 tiles can be laid side by side at the narrowest point then you don't lose the effect of the large tile.
Your measurement of 1.9m wide if I am reading your post correctly allows you to lay 3 of the 600mm tiles side by side.
Therefore, go with the large tile, it will look great when run it through the entire area!

Good Luck.

Thanks all for replies. I'm happy to proceed with 600mm tile in hallway/dining/kitchen. Now if I can just find a good tiler. I tiled my bathrooms/utility myself with 300mm tiles and this was not difficult. But 600mm tiles look a bit scary, especially since they will be in such visible parts of house, need to be perfectly level, etc.

We have done exactly what you want to do and put them down in a diamond design-I know you end up with a goo bit of waste but that really suited the hallway and we continued it on into the kitchen that way too. It is worth you while getting a good tiler in to do the job-where abouts are you living?

Hi fluffy47. Good to hear it's worked out for you. I wouldn't be brave enough to do a diamond design so will probably stick regular square layout.
House is in Athlone area.

I suppose if you are going to do it yourself then the diamond design might not be the one for you!!! But, if you are getting a tiler to do the job and decide to go for the diamond pattern then make sure that they have done it before etc.. Reason I asked your location was that I would have given you the name of the tiler we used but we are in Kildare.

Best of luck with the job.

Back